• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop with 64-bit XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
OK, there's lots of laptops with athlon 64, and now some turions. But do any come with 64-bit windows? I'd hate to buy a laptop with a 64-bit processor, just to find out that there will not be 64-bit drivers for the rest of the hardware.

m3x1c4nj3w said:
I think if you get Windows Pro, you can get a free upgrade to 64-bit.

Did you read my post?

It's about ensuring that the hardware is 64-bit compatible. If I'm giving up my 32-bit OS, the laptop had BETTER work with 64-bit, or I'm screwed!
I want 64-bit to start with, so I don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

Seriously, with the proprietary hardware in laptops, once they're sold, why would a company even bother giving driver and firmware updates? But those are exactly what will be needed for 64-bit!

dell has revised my laptop bios >6 times of course dell dosen't deal with amd... proprietary or not laptop company's have to take care of their customer's needs and fix potential hardware problems or they will get a bad reputation very quickly... there will be updates available as time goes on for a particular laptop model... if you pick a model that has only been availiable for a few weeks then there's a greater chance that there is a problem that has been discovered by customers but hasen't been fixed yet.

I would doubt a company would build a laptop where the hardware wasn't compatable with it's self... I would only worry about drivers which is a software thing that can be updated if they aren't 64bit drivers.

Last edited:
ozzlo said:
I would doubt a company would build a laptop where the hardware wasn't compatable with it's self...

I remember back in the days of socket 370.... I had several motherboads that had chipsets capable of running p3's and/or coppermines. But the bios updates needed to run them never came. I also got burned the same way when AMD went from thunderbird to XP.
Maybe if I knew the company that made the motherboad inside the laptop.... Maybe if I bought it from a big company whose description said "64-bit windows compatible."
But when all they say are "athlon 64 cpu," or "Turion 64," I don't trust it. Besides, most laptops come with XP home, not pro, so I'd have to pay for the OS separately.... after searching the web for all the necessary drivers. (and hoping I got them all, and got the right ones.) I don't feel like paying for windows twice for one computer.

best way to find out.. check out the lappy in a store that has it liek BB or CC or talk to someone who has bought the specific one you're lookign at, see what they say about it.

i personally don see why a company would make a board for a 64 bit cpu using components that arent currently compatible with 64 bit windows (drivers)

its different from a desktop that can be built with almost any parts (video, sound)

i know that with my board (desktop tho), all of the components on the board have both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers that came with the mobo. so it seems liek the manufacturers would be sure to use compatible parts and whatnot.

Caffinehog said:
I remember back in the days of socket 370.... I had several motherboads that had chipsets capable of running p3's and/or coppermines. But the bios updates needed to run them never came. I also got burned the same way when AMD went from thunderbird to XP.

You should have just asked.
Its not that hard to add the support for the new CPU :)
Just needs microcode extractions from a donner BIOS to get that problem solved.

You best bet is to e-mail tech support as no 2 laptops models are built the same all with different hardware

Hey, Jay....
Did you ever manage to overclock that spoon? I've managed to overclock my beer mug, my case fan, and some speakers, but never a kitchen utensil.

Too little too late on the coppermines and XP's. Thanks, though.

*sigh* I bet the laptop I want comes out now. Last time I wanted something specific, I got 2 weeks of replies saying, "It will work," "It won't get better," and "Why would you want that?" After 2 weeks, the product I wanted came out... from about 5 different companies.

Caffinehog said:
Hey, Jay....
Did you ever manage to overclock that spoon? I've managed to overclock my beer mug, my case fan, and some speakers, but never a kitchen utensil.

Too little too late on the coppermines and XP's. Thanks, though.

*sigh* I bet the laptop I want comes out now. Last time I wanted something specific, I got 2 weeks of replies saying, "It will work," "It won't get better," and "Why would you want that?" After 2 weeks, the product I wanted came out... from about 5 different companies.

Wow you remember !!!
i should put that one back up

Gota love the luck you had thier, ouch i know that pain myself...
Mainy when i buy something it goes on sale in the next few weeks or it has a price drop... No luck for this guy

Back