• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop stuck at the logo screen, no matter what...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xZippy

Registered
Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 300-15ISK
Model name: 80Q7

My laptop is stuck on the logo screen, and there's nothing I can do to leave that screen. Holding the power button for a long time just seems to put the laptop to "sleep". I can't get the laptop to do a full restart, in that I can't make it to the BIOS screen at all. Using that pinhole restart button near the battery that requires a paper clip or whatever to press also does nothing. Doing that still just momentarily turns the screen off and back on again, showing the logo screen.

The laptop NEVER boots into Windows 10 64-bit, the OS I'm using. I have no idea how to find where the problem's source is. It also makes a very faint series of "beeps" when I try to restart it, but only sometimes.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Looking at the manual, the Novo button should work but only if you can get the laptop to completely power off.

Looking at chapter 3 you could try to boot into the recovery system. Again, we have to get the system to turn off first.

For that, I would look to drain the battery completely or open it up and disconnect the battery. Holding the power button for a LONG 10 count should force it off. You state that it did not but I would try again but holding it for 30 seconds instead of 5 or 10. Anything to get into the BIOS at least.

For that, I would look to drain the battery completely or open it up and disconnect the battery. Holding the power button for a LONG 10 count should force it off. You state that it did not but I would try again but holding it for 30 seconds instead of 5 or 10. Anything to get into the BIOS at least.
I drained the battery. This laptop just loves to obsess over staying at the logo screen no matter what. I've held that button for minutes on end and this damn thing just goes in and out sleep mode. It just doesn't want to turn off normally.

I would take it apart. Pull the battery. Pull the RAM and drive. Check general conditions of the laptop in terms of dust and what not. Try to boot with everything removed. If it tries to work, then you know that one of those things is bad.

See if you can get into the bios settings and see if there's a power button setting in there, generally you can pick for it to sleep, shutdown, or hibernate.

What logo is it stuck on, the windows loading logo? the lenovo logo? the lenovo logo with the swirly thing showing windows is loading?

If it's the windows loading logo, i'd look into reinstalling windows.
if that fails i'd pull the drive and hook it to another computer and do a health check on it.... dying hdd's are notorious for hanging at the windows load screen.

If it's the lenovo screen without the windows swirl i'd pull the hdd and do a health check on it.

After doing so many laptop's with dead hdd's... this is what comes to mind when boot is stuck at logo screen.

if it has an SSD.... i have no idea lol maybe still test the health of it.

See if you can get into the bios settings and see if there's a power button setting in there, generally you can pick for it to sleep, shutdown, or hibernate.
I can't get into BIOS at all. That's the core issue.
What logo is it stuck on, the windows loading logo? the lenovo logo? the lenovo logo with the swirly thing showing windows is loading?
The plain black screen and white text Lenovo logo. That is all I can see.
If it's the windows loading logo, i'd look into reinstalling windows.
if that fails i'd pull the drive and hook it to another computer and do a health check on it.... dying hdd's are notorious for hanging at the windows load screen.

if it has an SSD.... i have no idea lol maybe still test the health of it.
If this was a standard PC, this would be all too easy, but I've never had to deal with a laptop. When I take all the screws out, the damn cover never fully comes off, there's something in the middle holding it. I want to let a professional handle it. I thought about the Geek Squad but I've read how scammy they are.

I can't get into BIOS at all. That's the core issue.

The plain black screen and white text Lenovo logo. That is all I can see.

If this was a standard PC, this would be all too easy, but I've never had to deal with a laptop. When I take all the screws out, the damn cover never fully comes off, there's something in the middle holding it. I want to let a professional handle it. I thought about the Geek Squad but I've read how scammy they are.
Have you searched Youtube for a disassembly tutorial for you model laptop? Has helped me with many laptops.

Geek Squad... I'm not going to badmouth them, but I'm willing to bet that it may cost you a chunk of $$, and still not get fixed, unless it's something super simple.

Yeah. I'm gonna double or tripple down on the disassembly route. Pull the back cover off and unplug the battery. This will at least let you try the NOVO button to get into the BIOS. If you have any chance at all to recover this machine, this would be the last option to do so. Go big or go home... assuming that you aren't home now?

Fact: The machine is already fully busted. Taking it apart can only possibly change the status to working. There is no such thing as more fully busted.

Youtube is an awesome resource that I've used over the years. You typically have around 20-30 screws all in. As you pull screws, you can tape them to a sheet of paper in the respective place that you pulled it from on the laptop. This way, if the screws are different size, you put the correct screws into the correct spots. Also, taping the screws to paper saves you from knocking everything to the floor. I mean, I wouldn't know that except that I do. Tool kits from places like ifixit.com have grids in the lid of the tool kit for the same reason. Keeps the screws in order to aid in reassembly.

Yeah. I'm gonna double or tripple down on the disassembly route. Pull the back cover off and unplug the battery. This will at least let you try the NOVO button to get into the BIOS. If you have any chance at all to recover this machine, this would be the last option to do so. Go big or go home... assuming that you aren't home now?
I think I mentioned this before. That button just acts as if the laptop goes in and out of sleep mode. This thing just doesn't want to go to the BIOS. I just can't win with this thing. It also keeps making those ~15 beeping sounds when I try to restart, but I don't know what that means. I'm assuming it's some "code" for a hardware issue.

If I had to reformat or something, that'd be the least of my worries, but this laptop has the biggest boner for being on the logo and will display absolutely nothing else.

Two things to help out.
1) Listen to the beeps. It will be a repeating code. (E.G. Long short short pause / Long short short pause) What ever the pattern is, post it here and we can point you in the right direction. The long and short beeps will be followed by a pause. then repeat up the three times I think. If there is another code, it will do that for three times. Use pencil and paper to write down the codes you hear. long long short, short long long, short short short, I don't know. They each mean something and if we know what you're hearing we can put a meaning to it.

2) This takes us back to pulling the back cover off. The beep code(s) may be pointing to bad RAM or HDD or something. Pulling the RAM and tryinig to power on may change the error codes. If not, pull the hard drive and test again.

BTW, Don's link in post #2 has instructions for removing the keyboard (page 36-37). Have you done that yet? If not, the mysterious screw(s) still holding the back are probably under the keyboard.

Yes, as JlK03F150 said, most likely their are screws under the keyboard that need to be removed in order to disassemble. Find a youtube tutorial for disassembling that series of laptop, as has been suggested.

I think I mentioned this before. That button just acts as if the laptop goes in and out of sleep mode. This thing just doesn't want to go to the BIOS. I just can't win with this thing. It also keeps making those ~15 beeping sounds when I try to restart, but I don't know what that means. I'm assuming it's some "code" for a hardware issue.

If I had to reformat or something, that'd be the least of my worries, but this laptop has the biggest boner for being on the logo and will display absolutely nothing else.
FWIW, maybe plug in a bootable media(Linux or windows installer) and see if the laptop will take the bait.

Lenovos can be stubborn, my Thinkbook was real fussy about booting to install media. However, my Lenovo Ideapad is real friendly about booting to...whatever you want it to.

Back