• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long did it take you to lap your HS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bohansen

Well i'm just wondering how long it took most of you to lap your HS.

I'm doing my xp-120 now and i have been lapping it with the 400 grit for like 3 hours now! and i STILL have aluminum in the middle -_- must have been a really concave HS i got. And it doenst seem like much copper is coming off anymore. maybe i wore out the sandpaper :shrug: oh well guess its gonna take me all day to do it

For heatsinks that have a coating on them (like the XP 120) its usually easier to start with a lower number sand paper....say 220. It makes the initial effort so much easier.

i put about 2-3 hours into any HSF or water block that i lap

ps: with my xp-120, i had to drop all the way down to 100 grit to get all the nickel plating off - 400 just won't cut it to take off the bulk of the plating - drop down to 220 or something even coarser than that (don't worry, you'll take the scratches out later)

ya i went down to checkers and got some 220grit. been doing that for like half a hour and still some silver :p oh well gues i gotta keep going

I started watching Harry Potter DVD when I started my waterblock on 600. I was up to 1500 and near mirror like finish when the movie was over.

A good smooth surface takes a lot of time. ANd paitence, forcing the block onto the paper would only result in rounded edge and poor quality spot in the middle. I just held the block loosely by the side and slid it around the sandpaper, adding water as needed.

I gave up after 45 mins seeing Im only making the copper stand out more on my Al - Cu Zalman CNPS 7000. Had anyone same problems? I mean, it colud be that I just wasnt doing it right although it seemed okay to me. Also, its kind hard to lap these Zalmans -> they tend to roll quickly (hard to realy grip' em!)

Cheers

gofra said:
I gave up after 45 mins seeing Im only making the copper stand out more on my Al - Cu Zalman CNPS 7000. Had anyone same problems? I mean, it colud be that I just wasnt doing it right although it seemed okay to me. Also, its kind hard to lap these Zalmans -> they tend to roll quickly (hard to realy grip' em!)

Cheers

I have a 7000A-Cu, not AlCu, and i didn't find it hard to use at all. I held it like so:

My right thumb was on the rear-side of the sink (the fan was removed). You know the middle part where the fan bracket hovers over? I had my thumb there, and my index and middle on the front side of the sink. I didn't rotate it 90° cause i've heard better stories of using only 1 direction.

I spent around 3 hours on my XP-120 using 220 -> 400 -> 600 -> 1000 -> 1500 -> 2000. Most of the time was spent with the 220 (probably 2 hours).

CJ

Sneaky said:
i put about 2-3 hours into any HSF or water block that i lap

ps: with my xp-120, i had to drop all the way down to 100 grit to get all the nickel plating off - 400 just won't cut it to take off the bulk of the plating - drop down to 220 or something even coarser than that (don't worry, you'll take the scratches out later)

is there a noticable performance boost?

Back