• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I've got a problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well i read our original post, and from what i can tell, that guardian PSU is WAY overated, if it has 20A on the 12+ line i am a millionare.

that is your first problem, BUT, that 17A was plenty, so go back to it.

next, do you have the most current up to date BIOS for that board? if you have an older incapable BIOS it might be stunting your power.

also the part about underclocking, well even though you are not "decreasing" your power, you in fact are, you are not using more pull lines on the mobo. besides that, try going back to the old PSU and lets see what happens.

BTW what are you using to measure the 12V+ line?

I'm using both speed fan and the BIOS information to read the voltage...

Thanks for the advice. I updated to the latest BIOS (I'm letting the new smell come out of the PSU before I put my old one back in), but it didn't help.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
well i would suggest getting a multimeter, your bios might be off.

also have you tried using different parts? like different ram, maybe even a different CPU? i am not the master of mobo power distribution, but i am gonna try my best to help you until someone more knowledgable comes by :)

Sigma said:
I already posted this else where:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3805454#post3805454

Basically my +12 volt is reading only +10 volt (no mods or anything either...) But I don't know what to do to increase the voltage... I'd like to know an easy way to fix this...

Thanks.

I don't see how a computer could run stable with the 12v rail being that low. You should borrow a multimeter and find out if it really is that low.

The fix? Get a new power supply. Try getting something decent like a fortron. A 350w fortron would be better than a 500w generic.

My old PSU was 400 watt Mustang, and it supplied 17 amps at +12 volts... as someone said eariler that should be enough...

As for the system being stable... Its not stable under the T.T. from prime95 (system freezes). I'll buy a decent multimeter sometime (I don't think a $9.99 from Radio Shack is going to be more reliable than the internal readings). Speed fan shows the voltage dropping (about .5V) durring the T.T. and some games (e.g. ETF).

I've come to expect that something may be damaged or partially fried in my mobo (if 17 amps at +12 volts isn't enough, then it might be the mobo power distribution). Is there any quick, and hopefully cheap, way to test the mobo?

Since I was planning on upgrading to a 64 bit system, I've checked pricewatch and Nforce 4 Mobo (good bye good Nforce 2 sound card, I've loved all the time we've spent together) start at $70, but the cheap ones appear flaky. I could just start upgrading eariler than I planned and have to order the pieces over a span of a couple months instead of all in the same week.

Wishful thinking: Next time Hypothermia gives away another gaming rig, I could happen to win it.

Last edited:
Okay I was uber stupid!

When I was messing around with my Mobo last time (long time ago) I forgot to plug in one of the +12 volt cords (the 2x2 cord)... Anyways now that I feel dumb, I'm up from 10V to 11.5V for my 12+... Sorry for bugging you guys.

Appears to work

I let my computer run the torture test for 50 minutes (CPU time) and everything is fine, except the temperature got hot (55°C), but I've always had the problem and hasn't had any side effects yet.

That would involve turning my computer off and it's spinning too fast for me to read it... I'll get around to reading it sometime though

Back