• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you shut your computer down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stupidspoons

Registered
Im just wonder how often do you guys shut your computer down. because I never turn mine off unless i wont be using it for acouple of days like if i go away or if im really ****ed off at my computer. Is it safe to keep a computer on for a long time because sometimes mine is on for like a month to three months without a shut down, but i have like a restart every like week.
(i didnt know where this would go soo i just out it here)

I shut it down for parts adding/removing, flashing BIOS and when it shuts itself down due to too high OC attempt :D
I even modded my CPU cooler to make it possible to clean it without turning off comp. And that's my workstation. My server hasn't been turned off for like 2 years or so.

Mine run constantly. Other than shutting down for routine cleaning of filters and blowing out dust every 4 months, they run Folding@home 24/7. Of course, the obligatory Windows XP patches I don't shut the machine down, just restart. ;)

Running 24/7 running BOINC projects, and folding@home, which if your machine is on all the time should also be doing!

Ven0m said:
I shut it down for parts adding/removing, flashing BIOS and when it shuts itself down due to too high OC attempt :D
I even modded my CPU cooler to make it possible to clean it without turning off comp. And that's my workstation. My server hasn't been turned off for like 2 years or so.

you modded your cpu cooler to make it possible to clean it without turning off your comp?? more info please :santa:

My computer sleeps when i sleep (Otherwise i wouldnt sleep because of the fans :D )

Or when im at school and i leave my computer on folding and my older brother decides to turn it off because it might set the house alight....... :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I sometimes shut mine down to cool off the room they are in. I have three in my office and sometimes it gets hot in here. When the room is staying cool though, I let them run.

I have to shut it off when i'm sleeping or at school. So pretty much, I turn it on when I first go on the computer that day, and then just leave it on till I sleep..

A few years ago in the days of windows 98 and ME I would let my system run 24/7 because God knows what would happen upon rebooting. These days, with XP, bigger PSU and increased costs for electricity, I shut it down daily and if I won't be using it for a couple of hours I shut down as well.

I only shut down my computer if theres a storm, If im oc'ing, or updates or whatever. Its been on for about 3 weeks until I shut it down to clean/RMA graphics card. It runs when I sleep and when Im away or whatever. The fans dont bother me at night. I dont mind the woosh sound the fans make. All 9 of them:)

I try to keep it runnig as much as possible, for folding

furiousfords89 said:
you modded your cpu cooler to make it possible to clean it without turning off your comp?? more info please :santa:
Initial mod:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/Ven0m-img/modding/cooler_top.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/Ven0m-img/modding/cooler_side.jpg
That was after my fan became noisy - I replaced it with AC Fan 3 TC, which I cut a bit. Heatsink is Zalman clone for 80mm fan - it had 2 screws fan mounting that was very problematic - I used a piece of old PCB for new mounting - 4 holes: 2 for mounting it to heatsink in place of old fan and 2 for screws to mount new fan. Screws with nuts are attached to that "plate", then fan on it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/Ven0m-img/modding/replacement.jpg
Here is my comp and new cooler that is going to be modded and used insterad of old one. However on photo you can see longer screws for old heatsink that allow adjusting of fan height.

Mobo is A7V880 - not accidently VIA, as it allows multiplier change on fly. My superlocked Barton is modded to mobile. For cleaning I declock it, unscrew nuts holding fan, unplug fan and remove it, then clean heatsink with hard brush, then put some random fan on it, to clean heatsink fan. I was considering getting some plastic nuts not to be nervous due to possible nut-on-mobo problem, but as new heatsink is going to replace it... Fan on Freezer is easy to remove, but even turning it off should be enough for cleaning, due to great access.

I've got serious problems with dust, but I've chosen easy cleaning over case filters. I'd need to put my comp in case for case filters too. I like to keep sinks clean mostly because it allows running computer quieter.

wow, that is freakin sweet. its too bad that all of the dust in my case always lands everywhere except on my heatsinks :shrug: or else i would try that too

anyways, to get back on topic i shut my comp down everytime i leave the house for more than 3 hours and when i go to sleep

Last edited:
mine gets shut down everytime I leave the computer. Energy bills would make my parents mad if I left them on.

I've got three machines running 24/7 in my living room. Except for when they're down for one reason or another I never turn them off.

There's actually an ancient debate on whether or not turning computers on/off wears them out faster than just leaving them on, even if they aren't in use. Personally I think it's a stupid debate since even if one were to turn them on/off several times a day the parts would be replaced due to obsolescence long before they actually wore out. The same is true if one just let them run 24/7, so.... Like I said, a stupid debate.

Oh, and for anyone thinking about the electrical cost, it's about 65 cents a day per computer in New York. I guess it could add up if you had lots of computers but over the course of a year I never even notice the cost.

Back