• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Found the problem, but need help with solution.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gimps

So the restarts from my mobo (UT NF4 Ultra-D) are caused because the 7800 sits overtop the NB and causes that chip to heat up too much.

Do you think a PCI slot cooler would move enough air to help cool this or should I look into some other form of cooling (please suggest any fan I should look into)

Thanks

Some people have had luck blowing an 80mm fan at the chipset fan.

CJ

CJ4 said:
Some people have had luck blowing an 80mm fan at the chipset fan.

CJ

Yeah I went and got a PCI slot exhaust fan and another 120mm fan that I mounted to blow across the NB and GPU. Between the two of those fans the NB hasn't gone above 43C while running Prime 95 torture test (CPU never hit 40C).

It seems those temps should be adequate until the watercooling setup arrives in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the help.

I have the same board, having some issues as well, how did you determine that the chipset is getting too hot?

Well at first I noticed the restarts happening when I installed a PCI card, but that just happened to be a coincedence.

What did it for me was that if I let the PC sit and cool it run fine for 10-15 mins then would start the restart loop again till I let it sit. It was just deduction that the problem had to be that chip getting too hot, since the GPU sits over it and is a huge heat source.

The chipset cooling is becomming more and more of a problem with the placement of these chipsets. Infact if you think about it they have been putting them in the worst spot you probably can lately.

Check my sig for a modded Zalman heatsink that may help in this situation. I have good airflow in through the front of my case which keeps the heatsink idle at about 40-42c depending on ambient.

@Karl
- The NB47J was fairly easy to bend at room temperature with needle-nosed pliars. Just grip each fin all the way to the base and bend in the desired direction. Just make sure you have good airflow in your case to cool it down. On really hot days in my room it can get up to 48c at maximum load for quite a few hours. I really wanted to lap it but didn't want to take the time when I got it.
- I dont use a converter on my card and I have never heard of one. Could you explain more about what it's supposed to do? The Zalman VF700-Cu didn't require any modding to be applied to my card.

Hmm, I plan to get this mobo and a X800XL soon. I have a concern that I might as well ask here.

I plan to put an Artic Cooling VGA silencer on the X800XL. Does anyone if there will be space issues by doing this? Thanks in advance.

Back