• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The gritty on Neo4 Platinum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hey guys, lookin for a S939 board that is feature-rich and delivers stability. I had one person tell me to stay away from the MSI Neo4 Platinum, but in terms of what I'm looking for feature-wise and price-wise, it cant be beat. So I'd appreciate it if I can get some opinions here. Good/bad experiences and recommendations are welcome, thanx.

BTW: I'm looking at a Venice 3000+, but can be talked into a 3200+ if this board in conjunction with my voltage-hungry memory (which wont do over 220 at 2.8V) won't deliver the goods.

first thing stay away from MSI
Good/bad experiences
bad the bios sucks i'm using the 3.1 bios witch is an older 1 becuse any of the newr ones i have tried 1 had a 219 bug the other had a 230 bug in it
the max vdimm is 2.85 so no ozvx or redline witch suck max vcore is around 1.597. other then that it's a rerally Stable board. if your an overclocker i won't buy this board unless you want mine :shrug: and as for memory you would have to get some tccd or tccd5

Last edited:
:rolleyes: alright guys, thanx a lot, i just wanted to make sure it was a universal opinion that it isnt worth it - now i'm looking at Asus, cuz the A7N8X Deluxe I had was so good, but I read something about them being glitchy when paired with venice, so.. mebe i'll end up with DFI afterall.. :bang head I just dont like what it offers in the area of expansion.

How about the Epox? It doesn't have all of the dfi options but it looks like another one of their solid boards.

Get the DFI, or Abit Fatality

The title says it all...avoid MSI unless you wan't to run at stock settings, and never get any "final release" BIOS, etc

MSI have gained some points in my book since yesterday. Released new 3.5 bios for Platinium SLI and it does not have RAID bug, does recognize cpu no matter HTT and voltage and does not seem to have "219bug". I have Venice 3500+, if it blows with other Venice or other core I wont be surprised - check MSI forums worldwide next few days. Since 3.2 Ive not been able to use any official or unofficial bios so progress and some joy.

Will still be last MSI product I ever buy. Really sad they must have downgraded their bios development so much cause price/features/oc-results even reviews! are ok. So there will be problems with power hungry memory, you can check that out before buying = go DFI most likely - but having to waste many hours on fighting buggy/faulty bios and waiting way too long for upgrades with zero official announcements is unacceptable. Not risking that again. Anyway, I doubt it overclock or perform less than others, with same voltage etc. - dont think it is fair to say avoid if you want to oc.

3.5 is not yet on Taiwan site but on Korea I think. MSI is just slow with everything, dont have url right now but you can find link on their forum. I dont use Liveupdate, might be announced there.

Tarzan

You have a better chance of getting a new official BIOS with your SLI board because it's newer than the Neo2 Platty, (it's been out for about 8 mo.'s). We will be lucky if we get new version, because that's about as MSI seems to support their "Award Winning" products. :(

Well guys, I'm now starting to worry.. Cuz if I were to go with the DFI then i might not be able to use all my expansion cards >_- I need to have at least 2 PCI slots, one for my Promise TX2000 RAID card and one for my..(stupid college) Fiber Gigabit (2,000Mb Full-Duplex) NIC; I'd like to have a 3rd slot to accomodate my ATI TV Wonder VE, so that I wont need to bring a whole TV with me to college, but---I suppose I can live on just anime and movies @_@ I'm pretty well swayed from buying the MSI tho, thanx for the lowdown.

He was asking for Neo4 I think. Well soon august and so Neo4 have been out quite a while too - good amd keeps releasing new cpus, force MSI to do bios upgrades.

The 3.5 seems like the best yet, only problem left is 1T being almost impossible but could be a general chipset issue, or core/memory issue. Have had same result on all bios versions with 2 different memory chips. Not a huge loss and as a MSI owner Ive learned to be happy if computer boots up and let me restart/shut down. Rest is extra ;)

This would be the first and last MSI board I buy. Even with a slightly overclock setting, it'll still occasionally lock up on me and I've been a bit frustrated with it as of late. I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Back