• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AN7 Overclocking Guide: Revenge of the Abit NFII Black Sheep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
r4fo said:
AN7 users are back... :D

Indeed Ken! :D

I see by your sig r4fo that you use 1.65vdd, at least that's what I'm assuming you mean.

What vcore are you using to push that mobile to 240x10? Just curious as to how much voltage your cpu is requiring.

Darien said:
LOL, Thx for dropping by Hood, I didn't even realize you had an Account over here at OC Forums...

yeah, update that Sig, I keep bragging about your setup to everyone, the best AN7 OC I'ver ever seen,

275 FSB, liquid cooling and 2 x 256MB ofcourse, but its just great to see what the AN7 is capable of when it's high end cooling and RAM like your set up! :D
OK sig updated :) the 275 was when I was using the Vapo for cooling but dont suppose that would make any difference. Dont run at that now because DDR timings had to be so slack it was actually faster at 250. Now I just run at a lowly 250 with a 9 multi and 1.45v, keeps the noise down :)
On another note, I get the same as you with the DDR divider, just wont work unless 1:1

Hood

Bios24 said:
...but I was hoping for more stock. Is this good? do people do better right out of the box?

Both of my AN7s are volt mod free- I make it sound like a disease :rolleyes: ... I digress. I have done almost everything else under the sun to each of these rigs to help improve performance, but they are volt mod free. :thup:

I've sinked all the important mosfets, ATX 12v, ram controller, & south bridge using Arctic Silver Adhesive and sinks picked up at www.sidewindercomputers.com.

I have also done the L12 wire mod, lapped both my TR HSFs, lapped both north bridge chips(didn't make a difference in my OC), lapped my TR NB-1c, am using good tccd, tictac bios, good psu's, and plenty of case cooling.

So really all I have done to my boards is sink them and lap both north bridges, which again... didn't help my OC, I was already where I'm at now before I lapped either NB.

Although, if you do plan to do the vdd mod- I suggest you do lap the NB as Darien points out... just to make sure you have effective heat transfer between sink and chip.

So if you can call a simple sink & lap "out of the box". Then yes, each of my AN7s runs as you see in my sig... "out of the box". I consider myself extremely lucky!

harlam357 said:
Both of my AN7s are volt mod free- I make it sound like a disease :rolleyes: ... I digress. I have done almost everything else under the sun to each of these rigs to help improve performance, but they are volt mod free. :thup:

I've sinked all the important mosfets, ATX 12v, ram controller, & south bridge using Arctic Silver Adhesive and sinks picked up at www.sidewindercomputers.com.

I have also done the L12 wire mod, lapped both my TR HSFs, lapped both north bridge chips(didn't make a difference in my OC), lapped my TR NB-1c, am using good tccd, tictac bios, good psu's, and plenty of case cooling.

So really all I have done to my boards is sink them and lap both north bridges, which again... didn't help my OC, I was already where I'm at now before I lapped either NB.

Although, if you do plan to do the vdd mod- I suggest you do lap the NB as Darien points out... just to make sure you have effective heat transfer between sink and chip.

So if you can call a simple sink & lap "out of the box". Then yes, each of my AN7s runs as you see in my sig... "out of the box". I consider myself extremely lucky!

Yeah, that's what I wanted to add thx Harlam... NB temperture monitoring, the AN7 doesn't have it.... you're right, we defineately want to lap that sucker, but you need a temp probe to see the actual temp... another thing I need to add in... voltage for the NB... I've pumped up to 2.42 volts through my NB... and guys, when you're kicking that much juice to the NB, you NEED serious cooling, no unlapped chip with a stock cooler is gonna hang with that... now I don't run that much juice normally, but my OC does require 2.05v throught the NB...

also Harlam357, I need to talk about the 12v rail... I think that maybe holding back my OC... my 12v rail is weak and a weak 12v rail can kill you're CPU's overclockability... I think my 12v reads 11.81-11.87 volts under load... which sucks badly... I need to find a mod for that cuz I'm sure that's hurting my overclock... if you have in info on that please share it with us

and thx for adding in your valuable experience... we all need to hear what you did to get those killer AN7 OC's... plus you're making me remember other stuff I need to add into the guide...

now if we just had your luck :rolleyes: hehehe... I'll add your heak sink link into the guide...

Hood said:
OK sig updated :) the 275 was when I was using the Vapo for cooling but dont suppose that would make any difference. Dont run at that now because DDR timings had to be so slack it was actually faster at 250. Now I just run at a lowly 250 with a 9 multi and 1.45v, keeps the noise down :)
On another note, I get the same as you with the DDR divider, just wont work unless 1:1

Hood

Damn I'd love to see what you're system could do with some serious TCCD RAM that would give you 2.5-2-2-11 at 275... and maybe let you go higher...

Hey bud, if you have any info you'd like to add in for us regarding your High Tech, phase change and liquid cooling.... please school us... cuz I don't know anything but Air cooling...
and any other tips and tricks you know of, to let us know how the heck you got 275 FSB out of your system... what was it... 275 x 8.0....

anyhow, feel free to tell us your OC experience getting 275 or Cooling Info if you get some time.

harlam357 said:
Indeed Ken! :D

I see by your sig r4fo that you use 1.65vdd, at least that's what I'm assuming you mean.

What vcore are you using to push that mobile to 240x10? Just curious as to how much voltage your cpu is requiring.

Sig updated, currently running @ 1.75v Vcore.
Thx for pointing it out...

Darien said:
Damn I'd love to see what you're system could do with some serious TCCD RAM that would give you 2.5-2-2-11 at 275... and maybe let you go higher...

Hey bud, if you have any info you'd like to add in for us regarding your High Tech, phase change and liquid cooling.... please school us... cuz I don't know anything but Air cooling...
and any other tips and tricks you know of, to let us know how the heck you got 275 FSB out of your system... what was it... 275 x 8.0....

anyhow, feel free to tell us your OC experience getting 275 or Cooling Info if you get some time.
It was 275 x 10 when I was using the phase change, I dont think I have even run at 275 under water cooling but there is no reason why it wouldnt with a lower multi. I have done no mods to the mobo other than cooling the hot bits not even lapped the N/Br, its as it came out of the box. One thing I did notice is the North Bridge was pretty flat when I removed the stock HSF , a lot flatter than any of the NF7 I have had. This could possibly be why my board seems to OC better than most.
There are some pics on my site of the phase change and some of my water blocks think some of the pages aren’t linked to so if you are interested in seeing I will post the links. The site hasnt been updated for a long time so most of the info about my mobo etc will be well out of date will have to try and find some time to clean it up and update.
Hood

Heck Yeah!! Please post up those links, even if it's not up to date, it can show us whats been done. I'm sure we'd all love to see it, I know I would. Holy Cow!!! 275 x 10 out of the Box!!! that has to be the best AN7 ever!!!

I wasn't even aware that you had a website... hook us up with some links!

Darien said:
Heck Yeah!! Please post up those links, even if it's not up to date, it can show us whats been done. I'm sure we'd all love to see it, I know I would. Holy Cow!!! 275 x 10 out of the Box!!! that has to be the best AN7 ever!!!

I wasn't even aware that you had a website... hook us up with some links!
Actually it was my mates AN7 :) when mine arrived it was DOA so he said I could have his and he would get the replacement when it arrived. I know his did pretty well but his Twinmos couldnt get as high as mine so think that was possibly holding him back. Not sure how far he got will have to ask him next time I see him.
HERESa link to the water I am using now should be able to get back to my main pages with the home button. My next blocks should look sweeter as I have just finished converting my milling machine to CNC and fancy shapes will be no problem at all :) finding time will be the problem LOL

Hood

On my original block I made for the Vapo I used the screw holes but my second one I used a clamp. When I moved to water I decided that the clamp system was better because it was easy to remove (3 seconds max) and also the pressure was evenly applied thus very little chance of cracking the core, especially as all my CPUs had the small pads removed to facilitate the fitting of the Vapo. One last reason I used the socket is that some mobos dont have the holes.
HERES a link to my mark 2 holdown for the Vapo.

Hood

OMFG! you're the coolest person I know Hood... :drool:

that set up is gnarly!! good links on your site too...

Darien said:
OMFG! you're the coolest person I know Hood... :drool:

that set up is gnarly!! good links on your site too...
LOL dont know whether thats a compliment or not :)
Not sure if you mentioned this or not in your guide (memory is not working great just now, head full of CNC )
Anyway, one thing with my mobo/DDR is I need to use slots 1 and 3 to get over 240 or so and also my DDR doesnt like more than 2.9v so for people having problems they might want to try moving slots and lowering DDR voltage.

Hood

Hood said:
LOL dont know whether thats a compliment or not :)
Not sure if you mentioned this or not in your guide (memory is not working great just now, head full of CNC )
Anyway, one thing with my mobo/DDR is I need to use slots 1 and 3 to get over 240 or so and also my DDR doesnt like more than 2.9v so for people having problems they might want to try moving slots and lowering DDR voltage.

Hood

Yeah I did mention that... same with me... slots 1 and 3 work much much better than 2 and 3 for me too...

And yeah it was a compliment... that's got to be the most tricked out cooling system I've even seen... seriously cool (pun intended)... I mean, you actually machined your own blocks... that's nice!! you keep mentioning CNC... what is that?

as for the voltage, depends on the RAM...

Last edited:
Darien said:
you keep mentioning CNC... what is that?
CNC=Computer Numerically Controlled. I have converted one of my milling machines so now the computer controls it rather than me. The advantages are I dont have to crank the handles, I can cut all sorts of fancy shapes, its fast as hell and I can go and do other work while my mill is doing its stuff.

Hood

Oh ok, Thx Hood, I was watching a Lance Armstrong documentory on Discovery Channel last night... they were milling his rims and metioned the CNC process... I turned to my wife and said... ah yes, "CNC=Computer Numerically Controlled"... sounding like I knew what I was talking about HAHAHA!

Back on Topic, I'm still disgruntled about not being in the 250 Club, and I'm convinced it has to do with my weak underpowered 12v rail... and It does sag a little too... and has a fair amount of fluxuation in the line from 12.10-11.87... can drop as low as 11.75 under load (usually not that low though) and that's with my CD drive disconnected!!

So I need to look into a vDroop Mod, if any one knows one for the AN7??? I also wish I had a better power supply, that I could boost the 12v rail on, or find a way to make the 12v rail not fluxuate so much... the PFC on this PSU is a little under par I think..

Also Tebore insists that sinking the mosfets and maybe the NB + SB on the back of the mobo 'can' allow a higher FSB... 1-2 more FSB... and I figure I'll try that the next time I pull my Mobo out (which I hate doing... its a pain)...

anyhow, your guys input is most appreciated.

It might not help for a higher FSB to sink the PWMs for the CPU. I just got 2mhz more on the FSB because of it because my CPU was limiting. Sinking the PWMs allowed me to get ~50mhz out of my chip which was from increasing the FSB 2mhz. But hey we're overclockers if it runs cooler that always helps.

I'm gonna test my theory of sinking the back of the NB this weekend I'll get back to you with results when I do it this saturday.

Darien said:
also Harlam357, I need to talk about the 12v rail... I think that maybe holding back my OC... my 12v rail is weak and a weak 12v rail can kill you're CPU's overclockability... I think my 12v reads 11.81-11.87 volts under load... which sucks badly... I need to find a mod for that cuz I'm sure that's hurting my overclock... if you have in info on that please share it with us

Yes Indeed Ken! Sorry... been ooc again. Work's a &!%@*.

The 12v rail in my FSP AX500-A will fluctuate between 11.75v - 12.09v and averages 11.90v under load, as seen in my sig. Ehh... :eh?: but I don't really trust MBM5. Although I think that MBM5 reads the micro-garbage(uGuru) chip, as I like to call it, for its information... and uGuru supposedly gets its readings from BIOS I do believe... :shrug: or maybe not. I would love for someone to clear that up for me. :)

uGuru chip - "The reason NF7-S owners are glad they don't own an AN7!" :D It's just a "bell & whistle" and extra component to get in the way of your OC. But as we and other AN7 owners have proven... the AN7 can be a viable OCing board for Socket A... plus the board has more options and its layout is better- that was my main concern... since when I bought these boards I had no intention of pushing the fsb past 200. Of course... that all went out the door real quick.

As for your 12v rail holding back your OC? Maybe... but I wouldn't call your 12v rail that weak. Although it could always be better... I was running these same stable clocks with my previous PSU, Antec TP430, that would drop to 11.64v under load. Rig was still stable though. I replaced that Antec TruePower 430W with the FSP AX500-A and the Fortron is better. I just think this rig eats up the 12v, even with dual 12v rails. My 250 rig does run a very stable TP430... don't be confused, it's a completely different unit... actually older. Letting a friend use the other TP430 unit(newer).

Darien said:
and thx for adding in your valuable experience... we all need to hear what you did to get those killer AN7 OC's... plus you're making me remember other stuff I need to add into the guide...

No prob... glad to be of service.

Darien said:
now if we just had your luck :rolleyes: hehehe... I'll add your heak sink link into the guide...

Yes, please do add the Microcool chipset heatsinks... here is the link to the sinks @ sidewinder. If you haven't shopped at sidewinder anyone... check them out. In addition to these little chipset sinks... they have the best lineup of fans on the market imo. 17 Deltas and 12 Panaflos to choose from as well as assorted Sanyo Denki & Sunon fans. Quality stuff! No fluff! Sidewinder!

Tebore: Thx, plz let us know the results

Harlam357: Done, links added.

Guys, I'm freakin' out here, my Patriot 3200 that hit the wall at 245 was starting to give errors at 245, so I said forget it! It's goin back I don't care how pretty it is...

so I pulled it out and stuck my Kingston Hyper-X back in there... just 1 512 stick... the damn thing was doing 10 x 250 with no errors in memtest!?!?!? it never did that before?? ofcourse I haven't tried it since I did all the volt mods either... but where the G.Skill and the TCCD failed... my good 'ol Kingston CH5 was comin through for me...

so I decide... wth... lets stick'em both in and run dual channel... and after about 2 hours of tweaking... I'm running 250 x 10 CPU enabled 3-2-2-11.... I'm still getting a few errors.. but it's doing like 3 passes in memtest without errors!!! maybe some more tweaking can get it stable... but THATS AMZING!!! my other RAM couldn't do that no matter what I did...

I figure if I disable the CPU it will be rock solid at 250 (maybe higher), but I'm gonna play with it and see if I can get it stable...

the reason this is such good news is, If it can do 250 with this RAM @ 3-2-2-11, it should be able to do 250 @ 2.5 or 2 with some good RAM =)

EDIT: Grrr :temper: it does OK in memtest but won't boot to windows 2 x 512 at 250 :bang head

Last edited:
Darien said:
Some added tips from our resident Thermalright Fanboy

If it's not Thermalright & OCZ on this forum... it's crap! Remember that Mike Myers skit on SNL? "If it's not Scotish, it's crap!" lol... oh, I'm rolling here... Seriously, a buddy of mine made that observation... and to some degree I really have to agree. :D

Darien said:
so I pulled it out and stuck my Kingston Hyper-X back in there... just 1 512 stick... the damn thing was doing 10 x 250 with no errors in memtest!?!?!? it never did that before?? ofcourse I haven't tried it since I did all the volt mods either... but where the G.Skill and the TCCD failed... my good 'ol Kingston CH5 was comin through for me...

What kind of voltage were you putting to the CH-5s?

I see in the sig that it says you're pushing 3.0 volts into those PDP TCCDs... I'm sure you have, but I'll ask anyway... have you tried lower voltages? 2.6-2.7 range? If that's good TCCD, it shouldn't need 3v to do 240-250 @ 2.5-2-2-11. Basically I'm saying that I wouldn't be so quick to blame the PDP.

On the other hand, I'm sure the CH-5 was lovin' some volts! :D

Darien said:
the reason this is such good news is, If it can do 250 with this RAM @ 3-2-2-11, it should be able to do 250 @ 2.5 or 2 with some good RAM =)

EDIT: Grrr it does OK in memtest but won't boot to windows 2 x 512 at 250

I think you have good RAM... it's just that you're hitting your board's limit. It's inevitable- you've proabably just walled out. Although I think you can still tweak it out to 250, it'll just take time... I wouldn't do anything like disable the cpu interface or run single channel though. You will get more benefit running DC with the interface enabled in the mid 240s than 250 with disabled and SC.

I also would not be disappointed with what you've been able to achieve with that board... there are many folks who couldn't achieve the FSB on their NF7-S that you've achieved on your AN7. Again, I think you proved your point- the AN7 is a viable OCing board. :)

Keep us up-to-date... and Thanks for adding the links and quotes.

Signed,
Thermalright Fanboy. ;)

Back