• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new rig setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hybrid9TN

After months of saving and buying things piecemeal, I finally have all my components for a new system. Here's what I got.

Athlon 64 3000 Venice core
DFI NF4 Ultra D Motherboard
2 GB OCZ Platinum PC3200 Dual Channel Kit
80 GB Seagate SATA (boot drive)
320 GB WD SATA (storage drive
BFG 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 PCI-E
NEC Dual Layer DVD Burner
Lite-On DVD/CD-RW Combo drive
Lite-ON 52x CD-ROM Drive
Creative Sounblaster Audigy 2 ZS PLat. Pro
Enermax 535 watt power supply (SLI Ready)
Coolermaster Stacker case

Now, I want to set up the the CD-ROM drive and the DVD/CD-RW as master and slave respectively because I do alot of CD copying and on-the-fly burning is still the fastest way to go. My question is will that affect DVD burning if I put the DVD burner on it's own IDE Channel? I don't know if you can burn DVDs on the fly. I have read you can in some place, and other places you can't. I just want to be able to use all three so I can do normal installs and CD-Ripping on the CD-ROM drive to save wear and tear on the burner.

the RAM was like $275 on newegg. I think the PSU I bought will be fine. the 7800GTX uses way less power than current cards and I'm not running SLI

Yes, the PSU will be fine. I was just giving a better alternative. I didn't realize you already purshased all of that though.

Yeah..all that is bought and ready to build. U have any idea about the optical drive setup I was askin about?

I don't get that either. So, what you mean is that you bought a computer without any knowledge of setting it up? I'm confused.

-1cem4n

well personaly I find it more common for people to know how to build but choose crappy components...this setup looks like research was well done for a solid gaming rig...putting it together is the easy part.

About your question, if your going to have CD-CD copying your going to want to have each optical on it's own IDE cable. So your HDD's are SATA so just plug those in, and then for your optical setup use 2 IDE cables (DO NOT use 1 cable with 2 connectors) and set both up as master on thier own channel.

The reason for this is because each IDE channel, even though allow 2 devices per channel, can only talk to one at a time. So your drives would have to take turns sending/recieving. This way you can have one drive continiously sending the other continiuosly recieving!

Good luck and enjoy your setup!

*edit* didn't notice you had 3 opticals?...is this because you do so much CD copying you want 3 opticals? because your DVD burner will burn CD's as well as DVD's...so you just need your combo drive on one channel, and burner on the other and you can do CD-CD and DVD-DVD copying.

If, however, you want to be able to do some funky combination or something....specific exactly what your trying to do...i.e. have a CD in your CD-ROM only drive and want to copy to CD combo, and still use DVD burner or burn on DVD burner....or whatever

The main thing is I do a hell of alot more CD burning and DVD burning. When I mean more , I mean around 10-15 CDs a day and occasionally more. So for all that, I would rather wear down my $20 Combo drive rather than my $65 DVD burner. I can use the CD-ROM to read and the Combo drive to burn CDs on the fly. Then if I want to burn a DVD on the fly I can use the Combo drive to read and the DVD burner to burn the copies. It won't happen that often, but maybe a few times a week. Kinda see where I am going with this?

I bought the components cause they had a bargain for both the combo and the CD-ROM. I know how to put it together, just not sure if that setup would work and I wasn't sure if the setup would work or not. If it didn't, I have my old PC which I am setting up as a server and could easily just slap the CD-ROM in there or even take it to my mom's school and throw it into one of her PCs there as an upgrade.

Thanks for the help guys

Back