• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about buying Vapochill XE for $650 need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeerHunter

Hi long time water user and want to try something different but have plenty of questions...so clueless. :bang head

Are these units quiet? Like close to silent?

How long will they last?

Do they need freon recharge frequently?

Are there any issues I should be aware of for a total n00b like myself? :shrug:

Thanks

Vapo's are much louder than Mach II's and perform on par with Mach II's and slightly worse than a Mach II GT.

They'll last a long time. They are built to run 24/7, although i wouldn't risk it. You better make sure you do a GOOD job of insulating the board if you run it like that.

Shouldn't need recharging often at all. Unless there's a leak or you want to regas with some better stuff it'll go for plenty long.

And the main thing you need to be aware of is unless you're planning to put it under a Lian Li case, you would be better suited buying something other than a Vapo. About the only thing better about a vapo than a Mach II is the mounting. It is much easier to mount a Vapo than it is a Mach II. If you really want to do it right the first time, go with something from Sandman or PC_ICE. PC_ICE makes some AWSOME units that will outperform both Mach II and Vapo's. His run $500 for a base unit which is a tad steep imo, but you get what you pay for. Add on painting the case and an LCD readout, you're already paying as much as a Vapo/Mach II.

The one thing i would say about phase though is you will NOT regret it. I swear i'll never use anything less from here on out.

BeerHunter said:
Hi long time water user and want to try something different but have plenty of questions...so clueless. :bang head

Are these units quiet? Like close to silent?

How long will they last?

Do they need freon recharge frequently?

Are there any issues I should be aware of for a total n00b like myself? :shrug:

Thanks

I have an XEII, so, take my advice as you will, but hopefully it will help some.

To answer your questions...

The sound will vary depending on the speeds you have the compressor fans set at. Out of the box, the sound is a light hum, like a very small fridge. My wife's machine, with a mere two 80mm case fans and stock AXP HSF, is actually louder than my system is with fans at stock speed. With fans at 100%, though, it's pretty loud.

How long will they last? I've only had mine for about 7 months now, so I can't really say. According to Asetek, they will last for as long as the average fridge with little to minimum maintenance. You should never really have to recharge the refrigerant, although keep in mind that the XE's used R404, and the XEII's use R507, and many XE owners have recharged their systems with R507 to get slightly colder temps.

Issues? If the unit is used, the clamshell may be already assembled, saving you some trouble. If not, be patient, and follow the instructions to a tee. Ensure before you buy that it still has all of the assembly/install instructions. Also, the XE's had the serial Chill Control system I believe, but if it comes the USB version, be aware that there are some issues with it on many user's systems- it will work, but there have been problems changing the settings with USB devices connected. :bang head The Package comes with enough to efficiently combat condensation, so that shouldn't be a problem. Mine is on 24/7, does it's job well, and I love it. I wanted the colder temps the Prommies could put out, but the Vapochill XEII package was slightly more convienent, and nearly as good anyway.

Thanks sucka. You OBVIOUSLY know the score with what Ive seen.:) The VapoChill unit I link is all intergrated into case which is why I like the idea. I'm a student and move in and out of dorms..go home for vacations etc (I'm a transiant LOL) So I like this idea of one piece integration for portability ease.

Don't even plan for high performance really just zero C or so with an X2 and fans at maybe 1500rpm. So you still think I need Mach II or it would be best fit?

BeerHunter said:
Thanks sucka. You OBVIOUSLY know the score with what Ive seen.:) The VapoChill unit I link is all intergrated into case which is why I like the idea. I'm a student and move in and out of dorms..go home for vacations etc (I'm a transiant LOL) So I like this idea of one piece integration for portability ease.

Don't even plan for high performance really just zero C or so with an X2 and fans at maybe 1500rpm. So you still think I need Mach II or it would be best fit?

AS far as Portability, note that the XE cases are HEAVY (although the unit is listed @ 40lb's, it feels heavier...). When Mine got delivered, they had it on a dolly, and the FED EX guy didn't look too happy. Now, with all of the stuff in the case, it's easily 70 pounds. It's a hassle to take to lan parties.

Tenkaipalm - Thanks man definity answered a lot of my questions. I noticed low humming noises not near as bothersome as say a 60mm fan at 6000rpm whizzing away so that might not be all that bad... how low can you set fans rpm?

Also I notice inside case PSU fits right over processor area, doers this interfer at all with mounting of evaporator?

Oh and another thing, how is case temps? Does having the evap inside case actually lower overall stuff like memory and on-board mosfets by like some kind of convectionary effect.

Thanks bro:)

Tenkaipalm said:
AS far as Portability, note that the XE cases are HEAVY (although the unit is listed @ 40lb's, it feels heavier...). When Mine got delivered, they had it on a dolly, and the FED EX guy didn't look too happy. Now, with all of the stuff in the case, it's easily 70 pounds. It's a hassle to take to lan parties.

Have to get some of these then. :cool:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/blkhandle.html

I can do a 70 lb curl with both hands..maybe.

The thing about Mach II's and Vapo's (and i mean the external ones) is they're very far from portable. As mentioned they're VERY heavy and cumbersom. I'll be perfectly honest, the Mach II makes next to no noise short of fan noise (for obvious reasons). The only time i can actually hear the unit is when it's first started up, and it sounds like a fridge. The Vapos on the other hand to tend to be louder. If my digital camera worked i could record a sound bite for you. I'll see what i can do on that. Trust me though, if you go sub ambient, you're gonna be happy you did it the right way the first time. Don't mess around with anything that you aren't sure on. Think it all the way through because these things aren't easy to sell and re-coup the cost if you just don't like it.

Not sure on the in case Vapo's, but obvioulsy the units like mine will add no heat to the case. The components themselves within the unit get VERY hot. Puts out enough heat you wouldn't want to leave your figure on it for more than a few seconds.

Any other questions i'll do my best to answer :)

BeerHunter said:
Tenkaipalm - Thanks man definity answered a lot of my questions. I noticed low humming noises not near as bothersome as say a 60mm fan at 6000rpm whizzing away so that might not be all that bad... how low can you set fans rpm?

Also I notice inside case PSU fits right over processor area, doers this interfer at all with mounting of evaporator?

Oh and another thing, how is case temps? Does having the evap inside case actually lower overall stuff like memory and on-board mosfets by like some kind of convectionary effect.

Thanks bro:)

Ahhh, the PSU... You will have to push the PSU up against the tubing coming from the evaporator. The tubing is very thick, so you won't hurt it, and it doesn't put any pressure on the clamshell/Evap itself, but I do wish they would have designed the case differently. Fans RPM max at 3500rpm... I'm honestly not sure what the minimum speed is. Some owners have found that replacing the fans with even more powerful ones get's them a few more degrees.

Case temps? I can't be sure exactly how accurate MBM5 is with it's case temps, but it's reporting them @ 30c. It gets hot here in new mexico, but that temp never rises above 34c. I have no other case fans, except for an 80mm fan on the radiator for the liquid loop on the video card peltier. There are places in the case for extra fans, so you will likely get a temp drop if you install extra fans.

Vapos are loud as a mofo, not sure how the xe is though since it used a much smaller compressor i would imagine significantly quieter. You should make a thread on the vapochills forums and ask ppl who own the unit directly on what the xe's sound is like. forum.vapochill.com gl

Back