• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 6600 should I buy? (non-GT)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odiexx

Registered
$136.50 - Asus Geforce 6600 128MB
$143.85 - Gigabyte Geforce 6600 128MB
$156.22 - MSI Geforce 6600 128MB

OR

$119.70 - Asus Geforce 6200 128MB

^ canadian prices!

Overview:

I have heard you can OC the crap outta the 6200 series cards and unlock the extra 4 pipes w/o too much trouble... however I'm not sure if the Asus card lives up to those expectations and I'd rather spend the extra 20-30 bucks and get a 6600 and only have to deal with OC'ing the core/mem.

I have heard good things about the Gigabyte and the MSI OC'ing ability in their 6600 cards however I haven't heard anything about the OC'ing capabilities of the Asus 6600 card... any of the three cards are in my price range and all that matters to me is which one will have the best chance to OC the highest and basically which one of the three will perform the best.

If you have one of these three cards gimme your core/mem specs and tell me what you think of the card, if u don't have one of these three cards - I would appreciate your technical opinion nonetheless.

ASUS cards are good for softmoding but not the best and keep in mind that softmod is not 100%, some cards just have deffective pipes that can't be fixed by upping the GPU Vcore, especially the latest revisions. Decide if its worth the risk, if not just get the standard 6600.

get the gigabyte especially if you like quiet It uses a giant heatsink instead of a heatsink +fan so you never have to worry about it making noise.

Will the Gigabyte with the giant heatsink w/o the fan provide the same cooling as a smaller heatsink w/ a fan if I am going to be OC'ing the card?

Also, should I just get this then:

$155.95 - Asus Extreme N6600 Silencer GeForce 6600 128MB GDDR3 PCI-Express *Fanless* w/DVI, TV-Out (Retail)
http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=4055&mcid=24

^ It has DDR3 ram will it overclock well, especially without a fan?

I wouldn't reccomend getting a fanless one especially if you are oc'ing. I have read many complaints about the Gigabyte fanless cards. They ru at a high idle temp and won't oc very well with tha hs. I myself have a Gigabyte 6600GT AGP model and the hs and fan that came with it were crap so I bought a logisys all copper hs with fan.

Also, the card that u jost posted that u said has DDR3 mmory, where does is it say that? Mine has GDDR3 memory that runs at a stock frequency of 100 Mhz do if that one has DDR3 I would think it should be much faster than 500 mhz

If you are going with a 6600 I would pick one up on ebay. I bought this 6600 NU for $88. For $150 you could buy a 6600GT

basically - i just want to know which one will overclock the best - i don't believe I would get the Asus 6600 Silencer edition b/c of the passive cooling...

I need something with good cooling that will OC high - whether it is one of the 6600's or the 6200 it doesn't matter to me...

I don't have any good prices on the BFG or eVGA ones... 30-40 dollars more - I live in Canada...

I've decided to go with the Asus N6200GE I've heard it has achieved some intense OC's.

Back