• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800XT AIW running at 85C under load....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

Just got my x800xt aiw today to replace my x800pro.

After setting it up and installing new driver, it scored about 5700 on 3dmark05 on stock. i am pretty satisifed wth the stock score. after that, i tried to find the max core with atitool. after about 5min, the temp jumped from idle of 50C to 85C! :mad: i didn't want to damage my new card so i stopped right after that.

as for my cooling, i currently have a 120mm fan blowing right down at the card, but the stock hsf for x800xt aiw just not good enough. what would you guys suggest on aftermarket hsf? zalman 700cu or arctic silencer 1? or are there better solutions out there for $30?

thanks

i got the same card, same question as you, i've read that artic silencers don't work for the AIW cars :/ i hit around 82C under full load at max! very high!

Schalldampfer said:
Hits 75 max. But I think it can withstand up to 90. You guys really wanna void the warranty by removing the stock HSF?

heh, im not really sure! im planning to upgrade soon though, maybe if the R520 core comes out or maybe the 7800GT.Im hoping the 7800GT will be around 350% like i read somewhere :p

I noticed in atitool that cooling fan wasn't spinning at 100% all the time, so I manually set it to 100%. Now, under load, it's about 80C max but still too high for my liking. I mite get a Zalman and replace the original hsf.

I know the video core can stand 100C+, but for how long? I don't want it to burn out on me in less than a year.

homer77 said:
I noticed in atitool that cooling fan wasn't spinning at 100% all the time, so I manually set it to 100%. Now, under load, it's about 80C max but still too high for my liking. I mite get a Zalman and replace the original hsf.

I know the video core can stand 100C+, but for how long? I don't want it to burn out on me in less than a year.

Yeah, but would you have it burn out with the warranty or take the chance of the aftermarket cooler prolonging your card's life for a bit?

maybe i m missing something here, why would removing hsf void warranty? i am not modding the card or physically altering the card itself. i also checked ati website regarding warranty statement and condition, and no where it said removing hsf will void the warranty of the card.

not trying to sound offensive or anything, i just want to know where this information is coming from.

thanks

homer77 said:
maybe i m missing something here, why would removing hsf void warranty? i am not modding the card or physically altering the card itself. i also checked ati website regarding warranty statement and condition, and no where it said removing hsf will void the warranty of the card.

not trying to sound offensive or anything, i just want to know where this information is coming from.

thanks

Hmm... are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the original fan that sits on top of the card. The big crappy cooling devices that looks like this (of course it varies according to different cards):
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/video/msig4ti4200/hsf.JPG

Not sure I can answer your last question, but I am quite certain that removing the fan with the monster on it voids the warranty, as it is physically changing the card in some way. Otherwise, I would have RMAed my now dead R9800...

i doubt a vf700 would perform any worse than the stock. it would be worth the $30 IMHO just to see if it would cool it any better. if it dosn't perform better i would be suprised.

Spion said:
i doubt a vf700 would perform any worse than the stock. it would be worth the $30 IMHO just to see if it would cool it any better. if it dosn't perform better i would be suprised.

Even if it voids the warranty is the question.

Schalldampfer said:
Even if it voids the warranty is the question.
if the warranty is so important, than just leave the stock on. end of story. idn if it voids the warranty or not, but if that was my card, i would give it something to keep it running cooler. call/email the manufaturer and ask them if it voids the warranty to put a vf700 on. that would be the best way to find out.

i will be getting a aftermarket cooler, i just can't stand temp over 80C.

i had a 9800pro before that i removed hsf and still got warranty after the card went bad. i just never heard removing hsf voids warranty. i m sure few others have done the same as well.

homer77 said:
i will be getting a aftermarket cooler, i just can't stand temp over 80C.

i had a 9800pro before that i removed hsf and still got warranty after the card went bad. i just never heard removing hsf voids warranty. i m sure few others have done the same as well.

Wow... tell me how you got your 9800 warrantied, please. I could salvage my own!

Tampering with the stock heatsink WILL void your warranty. If you dont like the 80C+ number, deal with it. If the card dies, you still have your warrenty to RMA it and get a new one of the same model if not better by that time. Now if your card dies from improper installation of the cooler, than you're screwed. Keep the stock heatsink.

Schalldampfer said:
Wow... tell me how you got your 9800 warrantied, please. I could salvage my own!
i had a 9800pro 128mb with r360 core. i removed the original hsf and installed ati silencer cuz the original hsf just ain't cutting it. then flashed the bios to xt bios.

however, after a failed attempt of wc, which i think i bent something on the card so it now has major artifact when running 3d. luckily it was fine during 2d so i was able to flash the bios back to pro. i then got a rma # from ati site and send it back. i actually got a 9800xt 256mb in return.

yes, i m a bad person with no moral.... :eh?:

homer77 said:
i had a 9800pro 128mb with r360 core. i removed the original hsf and installed ati silencer cuz the original hsf just ain't cutting it. then flashed the bios to xt bios.

however, after a failed attempt of wc, which i think i bent something on the card so it now has major artifact when running 3d. luckily it was fine during 2d so i was able to flash the bios back to pro. i then got a rma # from ati site and send it back. i actually got a 9800xt 256mb in return.

yes, i m a bad person with no moral.... :eh?:

... They accepted it without the heatsink?

Back