• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 1080 Ti Running at 84 C under load/need fan help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtyme07

Hey guys so I have a new EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 and after RMA'ing 2 of them due to poor thermal paste application by EVGA I finally got one that doesn't go up into the 90's. However, with the side panel on my NZXT H440 I do get temperatures up into about 84 C once I take the side panel off temps drop to about 76 C and I have an ambient temperature of about 23. I have to assume that it's my case fan setup that is giving me these temperatures I had to put my CPU AIO water cooler on the front in a pull configuration because my new mobo wasn't giving me enough clearance to mount in on the top like I usually do. I'm going to post pictures, let me know what you guys think I should do. Thanks! 20171122_101028.jpg 20171122_101007.jpg 20171122_100942.jpg 20171122_101033.jpg 20171122_101053.jpg

That case has serious poor airflow. If you want your Ti to breathe fresh air, you're going to have to eliminate the PSU shroud and get 1 or 2 fans on the bottom blowing upwards to the video card or find a way to get better airflow through the case to feed that card.

when you add the fans, get some higher airflow fans, more cfm the better when not pushing through a radiator.

That case has serious poor airflow. If you want your Ti to breathe fresh air, you're going to have to eliminate the PSU shroud and get 1 or 2 fans on the bottom blowing upwards to the video card or find a way to get better airflow through the case to feed that card.

So I was trying to do that by increasing the case fans but I only have 3 pin case fans and after much research it seems like they can only be controlled by either 1) A fan curve based off cpu/mobo temperature or 2) a physical fan controller, so I can't manually increase fan speed is that correct?

If you install a drive bay fan controller you can control the speed of the fans manually within a certain range. The low end control will be limited by the impedance of the fans since you would be relying on voltage rather than PWM.

I am going to call BS on it being the case. I used to run ZERO fans in my case. The only active cooling was 1 fan for the CPU and the two fans on the GPU and 1 fan for in the PSU. Even at that, I had all the fans set to off while the loads were low so literally the only fan spinning was the one on the PSU when I wasent gaming. My temps were fine. When I did game, I could still easily maintain under 70C with the fan speed not exceeding 60%. Oh, and I have a GTX1080Ti from Evga as well.

I have since added two fans, but even so they have had absolutely zero effect on the GPU's temp. If I set the GPU fans to 100%, I can run benchmarks on loop and stay around 60C on my GPU. So I am going to guess it's something more than just his case fans since we both have the same brand of 1080Ti and I can turn all my case fans off and it still doesent matter.

I am going to call BS on it being the case. I used to run ZERO fans in my case. The only active cooling was 1 fan for the CPU and the two fans on the GPU and 1 fan for in the PSU. Even at that, I had all the fans set to off while the loads were low so literally the only fan spinning was the one on the PSU when I wasent gaming. My temps were fine. When I did game, I could still easily maintain under 70C with the fan speed not exceeding 60%. Oh, and I have a GTX1080Ti from Evga as well.

I have since added two fans, but even so they have had absolutely zero effect on the GPU's temp. If I set the GPU fans to 100%, I can run benchmarks on loop and stay around 60C on my GPU. So I am going to guess it's something more than just his case fans since we both have the same brand of 1080Ti and I can turn all my case fans off and it still doesent matter.

what are you using to stress your rig? are you gaming or running 3dmark? anyhow i would try reversing your top fans. it cant hurt...

Back