• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some do-it-yourself-waterblock-drawings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wakeboardin_411

this will be for my northbridge and i'm debating if to drill the channels or take 2 things of metal and bolt them together.

If i do the bolt 2 things together there is a greater chance of leaks but i can add some detail to the channels.

i was thinking some more and i got an idea of taking a heatsink(good one with heat pipes)and use that part and have a plastic enclosure

For your northbridge, you do not need very much cooling power. Also, you want minimal backpressure so you don't rob your cpu and gpu waterblock of their cooling power. If you have a propane torch, go to a local hardware store and get two half inch copper elbows. Get one that will fit over two pipes. The other one should have and end that will fit over a pipe and the other end will fit into the other elbow.

Take them home and solder them together. Now you have a 180 degree bend. Solder that onto a copper plate. You now have a waterblock with all the cooling power a NB will ever need and allmost no backpressue.

IMHO you won't need hose clamps. Just sand shiney the place where the hose will contact. Get a piece of solid copper wire and wrap it around the hose and twist it tight with a pair of pliers until you can't pull the hose off with your hands.

Done this type of connection of my DIY waterblocks and they are more leakproof than hose clamps if you do it right.

Off-topic rant

I see this so often - what kind of hose clamps do you guys use in the US? the ones i use, you'd have to destroy the tubing before the block would ever even THINK about leaking - I hook my blocks up to mains water pressure, blocked off at one side to leak test (yes, a garden hose, and i block the oulet of the block) - and ive NEVER had a clamped hose leak. Hell, if its good enough for a car, its surely good enough for a waterblock...

I would look at this because it is an easy and good solution.

Etacovda: I am in the US and I always use hose clamps (except when taking pictures). They are an easy way to make sure your system does not leak if used correctly. Always use those clamps!

Etacovda: These are my favorites personally when it comes to clamps:
Type 430 Stainless Steel Nonperforated Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps, 5076K12 or 5076K13 depending on tubing. They are smooth-lined and torque down great.

Drilling the channels would probably be easiest and should still yield decent cooling. Like Labrat said, the NB doesn't need that much in the way of cooling.

more OT - yeah, i just read so many posts of people using zip-ties, or those plastic style clamps (which i find pretty average at best) and saying they have leaks with clamps; I guess i was wondering what was the problem, the clamps available or the user... I use triton stainless steel hoseclamps - they cut into tubing a bit, but once my tubing is on, it stays on as a rule.

Id agree with labrat on the NB block idea. Theres not a lot of point in making super complicated blocks for a northbridge which puts out next to no heat... (what, 10-20w?)

well this is just a starting block i plan next to make on for my cpu and since my northbrigde is just like a cpu with IHS takin off i figuered it'd help alot so i don't break my cpu. Would it help at all in the middle i made alil thing for the core to go right into like insted of ___ i do _/--\_

Generally people just put spacers around teh core, and have a flat base. It makes things much simpler, and still safe. Take off your current one, will still have a flat base, with no indention for core.

Back