• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decreased Life, source?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

OK, everyone knows that SUPPOSEDLY overclocking DECREASES the life of your processor.

Now here's what I want to know:

Is this decrease in life caused by more CPU speed, or more CPU voltage?

This question is critical, because if it's caused by CPU voltage, that means OCing isn't technically the source of decreased proc. life!

MY THOUGHTS:

-voltage is the culprate because it literally hurts CPUs
-AMD's A64 LDT (FSB), when risen, but kept THE SAME CLOCK, does 0 for performance, perhaps raising it for OCing is similar to just having a +1 higher multiplier

Any thoughts guys/gals?

Last edited:
I think it would be mostly the additional heat generated from the extra voltage, I don't think changing clock speed alone hurts the life very much if any.

frenzy20 said:
I think it would be mostly the additional heat generated from the extra voltage, I don't think changing clock speed alone hurts the life very much if any.

heat doesn't kill procs though, voltage does, and we have ample ability to control heat, plus, if u think about it, overvolting is like putting too much voltage through say an LED, it can kill it (heh I have)

if heat doesnt kills procs then why do people invest money in water and phase change and 30 pound pure diamond heatsinks?

It's mostly heat and voltage related. The two go together, of course...

if heat doesnt kills procs then why do people invest money in water and phase change and 30 pound pure diamond heatsinks?
Because heat causes instability.

MY THOUGHTS:

-voltage is the culprate because it literally hurts CPUs
-AMD's A64 LDT (FSB), when risen, but kept THE SAME CLOCK, does 0 for performance, perhaps raising it for OCing is similar to just having a +1 higher multiplier

Edit: I edited this into the original

ok something for you to remember, an electronic circut never ever suffers from degradation, its the heat that an unprotected circut cuases that damages itself, thus voltage is not the culprit of killing CPU's, its the culprit of high heat. voltage is in fact only a measurement of energy, that energy is the basic energy cuasing the conversion to heat energy

wow. thats an interesting thought. So if i pumped the voltage up on my athlon xp pretty high, but had an amazing legendary cooling system and it kept that cpu at < stock temperatures, then it would essentially have the same lifespan?

vacuum cooling? i realy have no idea if it has ever been done, but my dad is a cooling expert, and he has already said that its possible, but you would need more then conventional vacuum to remove heat, more like a hyper exchange rate, where as fast as it leaves you replace it with proportionaly cooled air/ liqiud

As heat increases doesnt it also raise the resistance in electrical/electronic components, in this case mainly the transistors im sure this will some affect on there and the cpus lifespan?
Does heat in cpu also effect electro-migration and how does that effect its lifespan and performance?

All of today's chips will die eventually of electron migration (tiny connections starting to malfuction after awhile)

Voltage causes this, and high voltage makes it go exponentially faster. So voltage = bad.

Sjaak said:
All of today's chips will die eventually of electron migration (tiny connections starting to malfuction after awhile)

Voltage causes this, and high voltage makes it go exponentially faster. So voltage = bad.

this is true, but IC's and alike have a life expectancy of 10 years. Granted you dont increase your voltage and accomodate extra heat, you should be able to calculate how many years you are taking off of your cpu's life span, as increasing the fsb will make the cpu process more (more electrons go through the processor)

I've heard of some CPU's I think like A64 FX's not responding well to sub zero temps. Like I seem to recall hearing about some dying even when chilled to way below zero. This wouldn't be the heat killing them would it.

Back