• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800gt or gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyBerGOd909

Registered
Was holding off a little bit on the last part of my new build. Have a dfi nf4 with SLI. Now I have enought money for the gtx, but how much % faster is it then a gt. I mean u can pump the gt up to gtx speeds, was wondering if its worth the extra 5% or how much faster the gtx is. I know the gtx wont see alot of benefit in the current state of its technology, but down the road maybe those extra pipelines will make a big difference. So any comments are appreciated.

A1Killer said:
really there only 50 bucks apart so i say go for gtx cause 50 bux is not enough of a price gap to me to justify the two cards just get the gtx and have fun man
I decided to replace my X850 XT PE with a 7800 GT. Why? Well, it shoudl definatly overclock better, It only needs a single slot, I can go SLI in the future if I want. anyway, How are you figuring a 50.00 price difference? I went for this EVGA offer: http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=258

I figure I can get 100.00 or more out of the motherboard, so 350.00 for a 7800 GT is a good deal if you ask me.

Vulcan said:
I decided to replace my X850 XT PE with a 7800 GT. Why? Well, it shoudl definatly overclock better, It only needs a single slot, I can go SLI in the future if I want. anyway, How are you figuring a 50.00 price difference? I went for this EVGA offer: http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=258

I figure I can get 100.00 or more out of the motherboard, so 350.00 for a 7800 GT is a good deal if you ask me.

Any reviews of that board? wonder how it overclocks if at all. Thanks for the link BTW.:)

BeerHunter said:
Any reviews of that board? wonder how it overclocks if at all. Thanks for the link BTW.:)
I'm not sure. I wouldn't expect a whole lot, its just an EVGA branded Jetway board.

ok nm 30 dollar diff on newegg the msi lite gtx is only 30 bucks higher then the highest evga gt is oh and its only 100 bucks more for the highest evga gtx compared to the evga gt on newegg so really the price gap is not really worth it since the gtx does have more pipes and vertex shaders along with better components on the gtx board compared to the gt board lol it most lickly like the ultras and gt 6800's the 6800gt is way diff then the ultra cause the board has better caps and other components on the board then the gt does lol atleast i know a little tiny bit about computer parts lol

edit: oh and the core clock on the gt is 5 mhz slower and the memory is way lower then the gtx so really the price gap like i said is not good enough to really advise getting the gt over the gtx

Last edited:
Yep, I recommend the 7800GTX too. The 7800GT might OC to speeds just a little under the GTX verison, but the pipeline difference may be noticeable later on. The only reason why people can compare the 6800GT to be a better deal then the 6800GT Ultra and that the 6800GT can OC to Ultra speeds easily, is because both the 6800GT and Ultra both have 16 pipelines.

But the 7800GT and 7800GTX vary because the 7800GT has 20 pipelines and the 7800GTX has 24 pipelines, and I heard that the 7800GT won't be able to unlock any pipelines, at least according to from what I've read.

So overall, the $30 or $50 difference is way worth it to get the GTX over the GT. Even if your getting a SLI motherboard, try to save up within the next 2-4 months and buy the second GTX.

350.00 for a GT or 450.00 for a GTX... I don't see a big enough performance difference to warrant the extra 100.00.

Back