• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dl speed, what is yours????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

every time i test my comcast cable dl speed (about 2.3 meg) i amawestruck by the advances that has been made in getting bandwidth to the home.
not so long ago, (8-10 yrs) a 56k digital dedicated line used by business costed about 300.00 a month. a t1 was easily 1000.00 -1500.00 depending on the distance.. my lowly cable connection that costs 50.00 a month is giving me 1 1/2 t1's.. and thats a middle of the road speed, many are getting 5-6 meg with comcasts newest offering.. verizon" s new service fttp,(fiber to the prem) is offer up to 30 meg dl.. Thats 20 t1's, which is more than 2/3 rds of a ds3.. simply amazing!! What knd of speed are u guys getting..

I'm getting "advertised" 1.5mb download/ 256kb upload. In real life performance my max down rate is around 220kb/s and my upload is around 13kb/s. I think they are using the Kilobytes/Kilobits scam when advertising. Also this is about the best connection I can get in Israel.

my.php

about average for me :)

4.7k downloads, something like that :rolleyes: . I am soon to be getting back on the 1.5mb/256k DSL plan for $50. Gotta have my online gaming, although I can still get sub-200/150 pings on CS:S, depending on the server. If you move to this area, you might as well bend over and grab the crisco, Centurytel will fook you over.

Flip-Mode said:
I'm getting "advertised" 1.5mb download/ 256kb upload. In real life performance my max down rate is around 220kb/s and my upload is around 13kb/s. I think they are using the Kilobytes/Kilobits scam when advertising. Also this is about the best connection I can get in Israel.

you getting 220 kb or kB ? bandwidth is ALWAYS advertised in bits, 1.5 mb is equal to 187.5 kB/s, which is what most things measure dl speed in.220 kb is equal to 27.5kB/sec.

for the question, im getting 5 down 384k up from time warner / roadrunner. in reality i get arounf 4.8 to 4.9 down, but i get every bit of my upstream. this is in north central ohio, 44875.

Every once in a while, my download bandwidth increases. It was 2/384 when I started paying, but appears to be 5/384 now.

Earthlink cable, 100mb of unlimited bandwidth webspace, $42/month. :cool:

bandwidth.JPG

Verizon FIOS - 15Mb Down 2Mb Up. Cable and DSL lines dont offer the upload speed that T1's do right now (that will change). Verizon Fiber offers more but none of them give you a SLA like T1's do.

T1 spec is 1.54 mbits full duplex.

When i signed up to RR back like... 6 or 7 years ago, we were getting 1 down and i dunno what up, and now we're up to 5 down 384 up.

Bandwidth prices everywhere are dropping as the newer and bigger backbones are put in place.

<PERSoNAl OPINIONS>
the sad part, for the average consumer, there is only one reason for wanting more downstream bandwidth... to get pirated materials faster. music, movies, software, even pirating books. we want it free, and we want it faster. its pathetic. And you can even see ISPs using it as advertisements.. "download music faster than ever!"
</PERSONAL OPINIONS>

I don't know what our cable is officially rated at, but I consistently get about 605kb down (~4.9Mbits) and 44kb up (352kbps or so).

trey_w said:
Verizon FIOS - 15Mb Down 2Mb Up.

Holy crap. And for the same price as our cable line. Too bad it's not available in my area yet, despite being smack in the middle of Silicon Valley.

Last edited:
four4875 said:
you getting 220 kb or kB ? bandwidth is ALWAYS advertised in bits, 1.5 mb is equal to 187.5 kB/s, which is what most things measure dl speed in.220 kb is equal to 27.5kB/sec.

for the question, im getting 5 down 384k up from time warner / roadrunner. in reality i get arounf 4.8 to 4.9 down, but i get every bit of my upstream. this is in north central ohio, 44875.
I'm getting 220kBs but Israelis don't know the difference between kB and kb so its easy to fool them. The "scam" they use is just saying "mega" and not adding bits or bytes, clever selling idea because they make you think you are getting something good. I've been trough it all, started with a 33,600 modem in 94-5 in windows 3.11 :shrug: then moved to ISDN line and there I was getting around 7kBs downloads and then I moved to ADSL but I wasn't getting full speed because of the distance to the closest phone central so I moved to cable as soon as it was available.

since the only bandwidth constraints on fiber optics are the electronics. my feeling is that once verizon(or others) reach a tipping point(my guess is 10-15 million) customers, in delivering fiber to the prem,I think we are going to see another revolution
in the bundling of voice, video, data(and anything else) into a single technology (maybe atm). just think, instead of calling someone one on ur phone, u just call them on your tv.. pretty cool i think

Well, I can't find a site that us fast enough to test our speed. We currently have a full dedicated DS3 connection (45Mb ul & dl). We just got it about a month ago. If you don't already know, I work for a small ISP in SE MN. We went from having 6x T1's to a single DS3. We are now sharing a portion with two of the neighboring towns, but I have not yet been able to connect to a server at more than 10Mb.

four4875 said:
T1 spec is 1.54 mbits full duplex.

<PERSoNAl OPINIONS>
the sad part, for the average consumer, there is only one reason for wanting more downstream bandwidth... to get pirated materials faster. music, movies, software, even pirating books. we want it free, and we want it faster. its pathetic. And you can even see ISPs using it as advertisements.. "download music faster than ever!"
</PERSONAL OPINIONS>

False. I use my greater bandwidth for VPN connections from home to work, and from the road to home. Being able to upload/download faster is essential to syncing large quantities of files. Also, greater bandwidth allows technologies like VoIP to thrive, as well as speed up the development of technologies such as video on demand, TV over IP and more.

a ds3 is 28 t1's.. thats quite a jump.. amazingly all these digital heirachies come from at&t (bell labs). i have a 1977 at&t network engineering book. it predicts the deployment of an all digital fiber network network based on their digital heirarchies. how accurate their predictions were..

At home I have fullrate adsl (1) which let's me download at over 800kb/s.

Just so you don't get too excited about your connection, here's my work connection (with a 100mb network card):

download3.jpg

From a popular finnish ftp site (gentoo mirror)

download2.jpg

Overseas from the states (a while ago)

Back