• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dl speed, what is yours????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
id like to borrow a 10 gig oc192 mux from my company, and see how long it would take me to dl the entire internet (LOL)

I've been thinking of testing that connection with a computer that has gigabyte ethernet. Don't know if the switch between supports anything faster then 100mb though. That switch is connected directly to a router which is on a fiberoptic / ethernet converter and from then on it's REALLY fast.

I'm getting about 2.05Mbps down and 307Kbps up on cable modem in Winnipeg. The upload speeds are throttled down a bit so that home users cannot run servers or whatever.

No biggy! I am usually downloading anyway. :p

Flewdefur said:
False. I use my greater bandwidth for VPN connections from home to work, and from the road to home. Being able to upload/download faster is essential to syncing large quantities of files. Also, greater bandwidth allows technologies like VoIP to thrive, as well as speed up the development of technologies such as video on demand, TV over IP and more.

i did say average consumer, didnt i? if you took out work use, what would your demands for more bandwidth include? downloading linux isos? not many everyday consumers want to dl linux isos, its usually movies and music and software.

My results, damn charter communications it's supposed to be 5Mb download and a measly 596k upload. It's still under 4Mb

Attachments

• bandwidth.JPG
    bandwidth.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 103
I have 10Mbit fullduplex. Not much to complain about, it serves my needs when i update my system. But for my surfing habits i could have easily chosen 256kbit for meerly $10 more a month, $40 a month compared to $50 a month is a big deal sometimes.

//Christian

I have a 3mb connection from my local telephone company where I live in the Uk it's the first telecom company to be owned by the local government council. Anyways I normally get 350kbps but that's only when I'm downloading if my brother is surfing I get around 250kbps cause we share through a ADSL router. I think we get effected the further away from the Head office unsure?

A friend of mine who also has the same make of router but his is wireless for his laptop but his step son's PC is wired. Well the wired PC gets around 300kbps but 275kbps with the lappy cause the router is next to the PC in his step sons room. Yet I have told them to put it on the landing to get a better signal but they won't listen.

thats smokin.. i belive they have a 30 meg service usually for business, however its offered to residential customers also

Back