• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

router problems..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vcstrike

ok i got a router from newegg i dont think its faulty (it might be. would just be my luck.) because it works fine sometimes. for instance i cant view pics on mozilla at all when using it. i can see pics on IE if i clear the cache first. i cant even get to newegg now. i cant get to yahoo mail either. any help?

Most routers have basic firewalls built in. If its a linksys they have a thing called dmz which would allow you to essentially be in front of the firewall. There should also be port forwarding buily in that would allow you to pass ports to designated ips so you restore the glory of the internet.
gl

if this is the situation then this website is a nice place to start:
http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

its called trendnet but it has dmz. should i enable or disable it?

DMZ should work if your in a hurry, but it does also expose your computer to the internet. You could enable it just to see if that is indeed the problem, but promptly disabled after you have tested your connection. It is safer to take the time to learn port forwarding for a permenant solution. This of course only applies if the router is blocking stuff.

Yeah, you wouldn't need to mess with the DMZ or port forwarding, etc. unless you are trying to setup some sort of publicly available service, such as a web server.

Are you using DHCP from the router to give the PC's IP addresses? What type of connection do you have to the internet?

Showstoppermd said:
DMZ should work if your in a hurry, but it does also expose your computer to the internet. You could enable it just to see if that is indeed the problem, but promptly disabled after you have tested your connection. It is safer to take the time to learn port forwarding for a permenant solution. This of course only applies if the router is blocking stuff.

Edit. (I mixed this thread up with another)

DMZ is not a fix, temp or not to his problem.

Port forwarding will not solve his problem either considering you do not have to port forward to get to the internet with a browser.

Last edited:
Consider reseting router and redo setup.

DMZ and port forwarding have nothing to do with internet web sites. There's no need for specail setting to access mail or web pages.

If you plug a computer directly into the modem does the problems completely go away? Also are you checking yahoo in the browser or through an email client?

yeah the problems go away if i just use the modem. i dont get it. could it just be a cheap router?

I would encourage you to check the Primary and Secondary DNSs have been setup properly accordance with your ISP setting first in your Router. :rolleyes:

Back