• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wirelesslisation of my current home network, need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pronoob

The pic shows whats happening at my home network right now
My current PC is connected to the printer, internet and switch where every PC and laptops get through me to gain access to these devices.

However, I would like to make use of my laptop wireless ability and instead of those cables connecting to the switch, I wanna wirelesslise these. And I also wish that every PC can gain access to internet without turning the main PC on.

so summarising what i want
1, wireless laptop connection to network
2, still maintaining at least 2 PCs connecting to the network by cable
3, printer, file sharing, internet sharing and LANable (therefore LAN games can be played)

complicated? possible? please help be out (i be newbie :eh?: )

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 73
simple - go buy a wireless router, and have modem->wireless router->switch->wired computers

the linksys wrt54g is highly recommended...there are awesome modded firmwares for it (dd-wrt and the like)
and i think it's the same price or cheaper than stand-alone (non-router) access points

Or just attach your printer to one of the computers and allow printer sharing.

BTW, I also have the WRT54G and am quite happy with it. -- Paul

Wow
this?
a AP, router with switch inside
thats cool
hope i can get it set up without any problems
just plug it in? software needed (except windows xp networking)?

That looks right to me. Also, IIRC, there is a $10 rebate (directly from linksys) on the WRT54G right now. CircuitCity had an additional $10 rebate when I bought mine, and that may still be going.

As for software, it comes with a setup wizard, but it's not really necessary. You configure it through a web browser. 192.168.1.1, by default, admin with default password admin. You'll certainly want to change the password and browse through the security settings. (e.g., turn off admin of the router from outside your network)

As for printer and file sharing, that should all be handled by Windows networking. Just make sure all your clients have DHCP turned on, and make sure they're all part of the same workgroup. -- Paul

I second the wrt54g. I wouldn't buy a print server unless you're absolutely 100% against having one computer on whenever you want to print.

I just bought it
So far so good
but not yet touch those opening ports or firewall business (still enabled)
still BTable

Last edited:
Back