• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] SMoothwall - adding NIC's not in list?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

hey all

trying smootwall - one problem - it cant probe with of my NICS
\
broadcom netextreme 5751 gigabyte
realtek rtl8169

when i clikc on manual - it says to enter some info - i put in the name of the card / model and it says cant load driver....

So what now? Can i really ONLY use specific NIC's with smootherwall?

To be honest, I've never intalled smoothwall on a machine that didn't recognize, but then I usually use 3com cards and never use onboard. Anyone else know?

i read some where on the Smoothwall forums that it did not like Gig nic cards unless it was a certain type. You might be better off asking over there. If it is supported they will know. If it is not they will tell you how to get it to work.

Lotec

Lotec25 said:
i read some where on the Smoothwall forums that it did not like Gig nic cards unless it was a certain type. You might be better off asking over there. If it is supported they will know. If it is not they will tell you how to get it to work.

Lotec

And be prepared to be asked if you'd donated $ too. :)

thans - i hit their forums

it turns out the Realtek one is supported in their alpha 3 version so i installed it - as well i found driver that works with the broadcome NIC :) so i am now operating a working smoothwall on an over powered system..lol

Just for anyone else who is searching and finds this thread, if your NIC is supported and it isn't comming up try moving it to a different PCI slot. I installed 2 NIC's next to eachother in my smoothwall and it woulden't see one of them, I asked on their forums and someone said to move one at least 1 space away from the other NIC and it worked fine. :)

^^^ i have experienced that issue alot with realtek based NIC's - they dont play nice together.

I used two new VIA NIC's, they were probed as VIA-Rhine NIC's but no driver for them was loaded upon rebooting smoothwall. I ended up getting two used 3Com NIC's and all went fine...

Yes - in the Alpha 3 they are supposed to be adding a nice collection of new driver nics - i think really their "manual" system for adding nics has to be made ALOT easier where one,ike windows, could install the driver from a floppy / cd.

Back