• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fake 7800gt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radium

I just recently bought a computer after this one fizzled out and in my excitement I found a 7800GT for 369 dollars off of newegg. Here is the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130247

However to my horror when I was browsing the specs to put it in my sig AFTER I had bought it it said GDDR2, so I took the model number and found a site with the exact same model number:
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A9602787&nav=4

It said that it had GDDR3, so now I'm incredibly confused and am wondering whether to tell newegg they have a typo, or dish out the 50 bucks to get a decent one.

I'd check around more before you take off the heatsink, don't wanna pop it off then have Newegg not take it back since you played with it.

PCGUY112887 said:
I'd check around more before you take off the heatsink, don't wanna pop it off then have Newegg not take it back since you played with it.
Ok, fire up coolbits. If the RAM speed is above 1ghz it is also DDR3

wannaoc said:
According to the eVGA website they don't make a DDR2 7800GT so I would mark it as a mistype on neweggs part. No worries. :)

Sometimes OEM versions of cards are made to match the specifications of a particular manufacturer. If you bought a retail version, then it's probably as listed on the website. All bets are off if you bought OEM. It really could be anything.

Sentential said:
Pop the heatsink off and look at the RAM chips. If it says "Samsung GC 20" you have DDR2. It is as simple as that

That just means you have 2.0NS memory. I have a DDR2 card and it doesn't have that, I also have normal GDDR3 cards that say gc20. Do you really care what type of memory you have if it performs fine?

I've never heard of any video card with GDDR2... ever.

It's either DDR or GDDR3.

'eVGA 256-P2-N515-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail'

It's retail

Is kinda wierd that Neweggs part number (Model #: 256-P2-N515-AX) does not match any of Evga's part numbers ... HERE .

Could just be a Newegg type-o . Check your box and v/card parts number .

g0dM@n said:
I've never heard of any video card with GDDR2... ever.

It's either DDR or GDDR3.

Umm, no. The first ddr2 card that went into production was nvidia 5800. The first to have ddr3 that I know of was the 5700 ultra. Believe it or not, but that is the truth.

Back