• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build. Need Ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

Hello.

Finally told myself that it is a time to get a new system.
So far I bought a new i5 9600k for $175, an EVGA FTW3 1080ti used for $450, and an Assus z390-A prime used for $100.
Please let me know if I am on the right path. I also have a 2080 coming for ($550), but will most likely pay for shipping and return.
I am upgrading because my older build can not run 43"+23" displays with multiple applications(a game, a browser, and a java based application) without lags.

Still looking for memory and a decent cooler.

Cooler:
Currently I have 212 evo, but I think that will be not enough to overclock 9600k.
I would want to overclock 9600k and have it running like that from the start at least for some time. So I would need a decent cooler.

Memory:
Need help selecting memory. I was going crazy about selecting memory. Read about daisy chain vs t-topology a bit. Not sure which one is z390-a. After ctrl+F found in one place it mentions daisy-chain, but then it talks about display ports in that place. But then on some retailer's website I found it saying that z390-a is t-topology. This spec is important to me as I want to understand if it is better to go dual rank right away in case the board is daisy-chain.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-A/E15017_PRIME_Z390-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
I want to have 16 or 32 gb of ram. Also want to overclock memory.

Was looking at:
1. Dark pros for $120.
2. And t-team extreems. These are binned in 6 bins, at least on newegg website. I like extreems at 3733 for $109. I heard that 4133 19-19-19-39 kit is maybe the best in the world, but it comes at the price of $144. And I was curious if anyone had experience overclocking this specific 3733 kit to perform at the speed of 4133 kit, because in my understanding all of these sticks are supposed to be the same thing, but are tuned differently (which is called a silicon lottery). However, for memory I suspect it could be just marketing and segmentation imho. I need an advice if I could buy a 3733 kit with 90% confidence that I could overclock it to be at 19 cas and 4133 hz after doing some research and manual tweaking.
3. Then I might have a cheap option for these: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz C16 Desktop Memory. I do not have a model number, but might get them for $40 used for 16gb. Also, might have an option to get one or two kits. I do not care about RGB, but they seem to go for really cheep for 16 and 32gb. And I kinda like the idea of having 32 gb. I tend to have a lot of tabs open and then might want to have a game running on the other screen. Is this kit overclockable and how far can it be taken based on your experience? Would you say that my best bet is to check qvl list of memory for this question?
4. Then I was looking at sales and for now these 16cl 3600 16gb gskills are on sale for $68.
5. Also, was looking at these 32gb 3200 gskills. for $144. These appear to be dual rank, which could be good for daisy-chain mother. But the 390z appears to be t-topology according to the specs at one retailer.

Please let me know what you thing about the whole build and which memory you advice. I have an open mind attitude if you advice other RAM kits and just in general as far as the build goes.

Thank you.

Last edited:
What will you be using the system for? Gaming, benchmarking, video editing?

I want to have 16 or 32 gb of ram. Also want to overclock memory.
What do you need? What do you do with this PC? Why overclock the memory and look into topologies? I'd buy decent speeds out of the gate and not worry about it.

Also, depending on uses, not sure I'd start off 2020 with a 6c/6t cpu...with consoles sporting 8c/16t... I'd start with 8c/8t cpu.

I am upgrading because my older build can not run 43"+23" displays with multiple applications(a game, a browser, and a java based application) without lags.
size doesnt matter...video cards dont push inches, they push pixels. :)

what is the resolution of these monitors?

The 43" is 4k LG 43UD79-B and 23" is 1080p p2314h. I am looking to upgrade the smaller monitor to at least 1440pt 27". The PC will be used for gaming as something that will require resources.

Last edited:
Are you trying to game on all of these monitors at once, or just one of them? What you're talking about would stress a 9900k+2080Ti rig, or you just want to game on one and leave stuff up on the other? What resolution are you gaming at right now?

The 212 Evo will run the 9600k stock, but you're correct that it will not overclock well with that cooler. Of course it all comes down to budget, and as ED said you may need another CPU upgrade in the near future.

To answer your original, question, unless you specifically use more than 16GB, I would just get the 16GB 3600MHz CL16 Gskills at a good price.

Are you trying to game on all of these monitors at once, or just one of them? What you're talking about would stress a 9900k+2080Ti rig, or you just want to game on one and leave stuff up on the other? What resolution are you gaming at right now?
Will be playing on the smaller 1080 for now and want to upgrade to lg 27gl83a-b. So this will be the monitor for gaming. On 43 I want to have open browser with multiple tabs and java based programs.

The 212 Evo will run the 9600k stock, but you're correct that it will not overclock well with that cooler. Of course it all comes down to budget, and as ED said you may need another CPU upgrade in the near future.
I need a decent, preferably air, cooler below $100 I guess to cool i5 at 5.0 at least if that is doable. In my opinion if I do not OC the i5, it was no point getting it over 3600x. Also, the cooler should be compatible with the height t-team extreems. If there are some good coolers that you know that are not compatible with such high sticks, please mention those as well.

To answer your original, question, unless you specifically use more than 16GB, I would just get the 16GB 3600MHz CL16 Gskills at a good price.
There is one specific game that got me interested: Mount and Blade. From my understanding large battles are cpu and memory intensive. I would like to avoid lags in such situations.

Last edited:
Ahh haven't heard of that game, but most older games like that are poorly optimized. Did you already purchase the tall ram? For your goal of maximum single core frequency the NH-D15 is probably the best bet in air, but I'm not sure if it will fit with the crazy tall ram. Are you open to liquid cooling? For a bit more you could get a liquid cooler and not worry about memory height.

Have not bought the ram yet. Just wanted to confirm with someone that those t-team extreme sticks are identical and just tuned differently. Meaning that I could get the lowest frequency stick and get it to work like higher frequency sticks after changing voltage and timings.

Which liquid cooler do you recommend?

That is never a sure bet, even if they use the identical IC there's a reason why they're marked at a certain XMP profile. Those team group sticks are not a stellar deal, the Gskill 3600CL16 for $70 is a steal, get that instead. Unless you're benchmarking competitively or using LN2 it's not worth it anyway. Take it from someone who wasted money on top notch RAM.

EDIT: for liquid coolers they are all essentially the same, give or take fans, so whatever you can get the best deal on. EVGA CLC line seems to be pretty reasonable. Arctic has a new line of liquid freezer II coolers but they are hard to find, however they are a little different than the competition and seem to have a slight advantage at a reasonable price. Cooler Master you have to be cautious as their teflon lined tubing is more fragile. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3571-arctic-liquid-freezer-ii-cooler-review-benchmark
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181-2.html

Second edit: I just looked and saw the G-skills are not CL16, still a fine choice though.

Last edited:
Sorry made a mistake with cl16. Looked at too many sticks, which got mixed up.

Was curious how is noctua nh-15s performs compared to nh-15. Is it just lacking one fan, or does it have a different structure?

This one fan noctua is currently my major contender as it seems to provide identical results. I liked a lot the price and performance reviews on arctic. As far as other go I heard only mixed reviews. EVGA coolers seems to also have mixed reviews(loud, etc.). Also, maybe you can recommend a 7 heatpipe cooler similar to Deepcool Assassin 3? Assassin is hard to find.

I am aiming to spend below $100. Was curious also about this cooler ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO? I've seen good reviews, but it is very small. Would you ignore it for cooling 9600k OCed?

I got Fractal Design node 304. Do you think I could put my old hardware into this case to create a server after changing the motherboard if I find one used? Or does the case have "chocking" bad ventilated design?

Also, wanted to ask on your view two section water coolers vs three sections water coolers. Some say that 3 section cooler have worse liquid flow due to larger size while the pump is the same.

Last edited:
Thank you. After back and forth and with the deal on EVGA 360 grabbed it with after $30 MIR for $100 and no tax from New Egg. Does anyone has a recommendation on replacement fans? I read that the fans are pretty bad on this evga. I think if I get some good fans they will last me long and I can find uses for them besides replacing the evga stock ones. I can even use both for push-pull. Can someone give advise for $10 fans and then for really good ones static presure fans?

Last edited:
What do you hear bad about the EVGA fans? Noise? The EVGA FX fans provide some of the highest static pressure available in an AIO. I would try them first and tweak on the fan curve if noise proves to be an issue.

Yep, the noise is a major complaint. Still, do you recommend to get 3 more fans for push pull set up?

I think you would find that you get little or no gain in cooling performance with a push pull on an AIO like that. They're pretty much optimized from the factory. But if the fans are noisy, you might get similar performance from quieter fans in a push pull setup. I just removed my pull fans from my 240 AIO rad and suffered no cooling performance loss. Again, wait and see what the factory setup does before unnecessarily spending money.

Not jumping to conclusions is always a good advice, but 90% of reviewers say that fans are bad and software is broken. I got it because it is a 3 section, which is from the same supplier as corsair, but it is way cheaper.

If the software is broken, don't use it. Use the bios fan curve tool instead.

Thank you for advice. I am about to assemble the new hardware. I am leaning toward reinstalling Windows. I am currently running windows 8.1 pro. How beneficial is upgrading to Windows 10? What kind of license is better to get? I saw some OEM one time installation keys for $2.5. Are those legit and are they worth it?

Back