• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding more ram to your video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

i noticed on my 7800gtx their are some bare soilding points 4 of them actully, they look like their ready for adding RAM, am i right? or am i a total n00b? lol

You would need the BIOS support for it as well. In addition BGA is impossible to solder by hand, you would have to have it done by a professional machine

Sentential said:
You would need the BIOS support for it as well. In addition BGA is impossible to solder by hand, you would have to have it done by a professional machine

Well if you are good with soldering then you could do it, I imagine that there aren't that many soldering points.

But even with that you will need a custom made BIOS to support aditional RAM.

so it wouldn't be worth it? and why would the bread board have these premade solder points? i mean i could have a 1 gb video card hehe, 2 with sli

I doubt that it would or or even be a good idea. I'd just save up for a better card, but hey, if you can pull this off, I'd be impressed.

If you can find the right ICs for it, and find someone who will just sell you four, and then manage to solder the chip perfectly onto solder points that the chip will cover, then find a BIOS to support the additional memory in that config...then by all means, go for it. :)

overclucker said:
so why would they have pre-soldered areas for ram?

Who says its for ram? It could just be something they hooked a testing machine up to or something.

Could be they use the same board for other cards with different ram configurations.

And soldering components like that is practically imposable by hand. It’s almost all done in a solder bath or by machines.

Back