• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two Gen. VGA Kings – When 6800Ultra meets 7800GTX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

windwithme

Just got time to make the 2 cards comparison.

7800GTX
Card outlook with thinner cooler, not reference board logo.
030wn.jpg

Components close to the power part
043ml.jpg

Card backside
055lg.jpg

Backside detail #1
069mg.jpg

Backside detail #2
077ru.jpg

6800Ultra
Card outlook with thicker cooler, reference board logo.
6813jh.jpg

Components close to the power part
6828tp.jpg

Card backside
6838el.jpg

Backside detail #1
6845sn.jpg

Backside detail #2
6855wg.jpg

Photo together
6860ia.jpg

Test Platform
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ OC 270X10
DFL LanPARTY nF4 SLI-D
GSkill 2GBHZ OC DDR540 3 4-4-8
SPARKLE 7800GTX SLI/6800ultra
Seagate 八代 400GB
TOPOWER 520W

All test is based on default.

3DMARK2001SE

6800Ultra
68210ta.png

7800GTX
78216pr.png

3DMARK2003

6800Ultra
68238to.png

7800GTX
78235iz.png

3DMARK2005

6800Ultra
68258pf.png

7800GTX
78254os.png

Comments for the cooler

6800Ultra
Even it is with thicker cooler, only a big noise in booting moment. After entering OS or running 3Dmark, it is very quiet. The temperature of card is lower than 7800GTX

7800GTX
Equipping with thinner cooler, the noise is very low. Only in running, it has low high-freq. sound, but it is too low to call noise. The temperature is higher than 6800Ultra.

Performance Reference, Generation Change, No Win or Lose.

I dont know....I am still debating that myself. I guess I cant bring myself to spend 500 on a vid card. Once price drops to mid-high 300 I will be all over it.

CarRamrod said:
I dont know....I am still debating that myself. I guess I cant bring myself to spend 500 on a vid card. Once price drops to mid-high 300 I will be all over it.

The 7800GT 20-pipe is mighty tempting at 370$

If you have 6800U there is no point in buying 7800GTX, unless you do lots of benching and like to play at 1600x1000res.

I have 6800U and have yet to find a game that it can't handle, but if you are upgrading down from lets say 9800 or 5900 then deffinetely get the GTX.

I think the 78GT is the best bang for buck on the higher-end cards.

I've owned two 7800GTXs already. I sold them both within a week or two, breaking even. I thought it was the dumbest move spending so much money. Unless you have a lot of money to spend or have your MAIN HOBBY set to benchmarking, it would be extremely stupid to spend $500 on a video card. The 6800 series and X850 series are definitely a much better choice for people who think $500 is overboard.

But... when I get my new job I may just buy a 7800GTX again. Why? B/c I'll have the money to spend, and if I never have the money to spend, then it's extremely stupid to spend so much for a single piece of equipment.

Thx for the thread actually. I find it very informative. It shows the avg person that it's stupid to spend the extra $200. I do like the performance of the GTX tho... I'm not trying to knock it down.

RedDragonXXX said:
If you have 6800U there is no point in buying 7800GTX, unless you do lots of benching and like to play at 1600x1000res.

I have 6800U and have yet to find a game that it can't handle, but if you are upgrading down from lets say 9800 or 5900 then deffinetely get the GTX.

This is the only reason that I can't bring myself to upgrade at this point. As soon as they come out with a good game that won't play on my 6800gt I'm getting all new hardware. Hopefully they will have the successor to the gtx out by then.

geid3811 said:
This is the only reason that I can't bring myself to upgrade at this point. As soon as they come out with a good game that won't play on my 6800gt I'm getting all new hardware. Hopefully they will have the successor to the gtx out by then.

Same here and in your case even if you did get GTX your CPU would be a bottleneck and you would only see imrovement by a slight margin. For you investemnt into better CPU would be much better decision and 6800's still have a long way to go, trust me.

g0dM@n said:
I think the 78GT is the best bang for buck on the higher-end cards.

I've owned two 7800GTXs already. I sold them both within a week or two, breaking even. I thought it was the dumbest move spending so much money. Unless you have a lot of money to spend or have your MAIN HOBBY set to benchmarking, it would be extremely stupid to spend $500 on a video card. The 6800 series and X850 series are definitely a much better choice for people who think $500 is overboard.

But... when I get my new job I may just buy a 7800GTX again. Why? B/c I'll have the money to spend, and if I never have the money to spend, then it's extremely stupid to spend so much for a single piece of equipment.

Thx for the thread actually. I find it very informative. It shows the avg person that it's stupid to spend the extra $200. I do like the performance of the GTX tho... I'm not trying to knock it down.

i don't understand... what was the point of selling both gtxes if you ultimately wanted to end up with one? i want to understand the thought process here in case i'm missing something about keeping up with the latest technology while keeping costs down...

zer0nix said:
i don't understand... what was the point of selling both gtxes if you ultimately wanted to end up with one? i want to understand the thought process here in case i'm missing something about keeping up with the latest technology while keeping costs down...
(Yes, I know this is a long time later, but I just skimmed through my previous threads)

I bought two of them b/c it was on sale at Dell. When I realized what a waste of money it was I sold them at cost. I pretty much broke even, maybe a little less.

yes i agree, the 7800GT is the best bang for buck. with my system @3.9ghz card 486/1140mhz

i get
26.014 in 3dmark 01
17,163 in 03
7,663 in 05

not bad for a hell of a lot cheaper card.
but hey if you got the cash get a 7800GTX.

I so wish I jumped on the deal when the XFX for $300 AR. 2x7800GT may be my next move if I don't do xfire.

hehe, you got urself a sparkle eh?

I had a sparkle 6600 GT, theyre quite good for a generic brand, not much on the game bundles tho, i got nothing from them

Other than that, sparkle has some pretty decent quality cards ;) enjoy your 7800 GTX!! Im enjoying mine, cept i want the new 512 version :(

I have an agp 6800gt, so going to a 7800(anything) is out of the question for now as I would need to buy a new motheroard and card, then I would feel the need to buy a new processor and ram, maybe a larger hard drive. See it would just be too expencive, right now the machine is doing just fine, and as long as my computer can do what I need it to do, I think I am done putting money into it.

Back