• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech Z-680 and Z-5500 THX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightWolf_8800

Hey

Im looking for a 5.1 sound system to go with my new gaming rig.
Whats the difference between the LogiTech 5.1 Speaker System Z-680 and the Logitech 5.1 Speaker System Z-5500D THX???

I play a lot of games, dont really watch movies but do listen to music while playing games. Later on this year Ill be looking to get the new Creative X-FI sound card. I currently have the audio controller on the Asus A8N SLI premium mobo.

What would be the best system for my needs. The Z-5500D costs more, so with gaming and music listening what is the quality difference if any???
Whats the difference between these to systems and the Altec Lansing ADA995???

Also frequency response range what is that??? What is the best 33 Hz — 20 kHz or 35Hz - 20kHz or 29Hz - 24KkHz??
Thanks
NW

The difference between the logitechs:
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-298-1.htm

Frequency range is what the speakers are able to produce from low frequencies (a deep man voice) to high frequencies (woman screaming, screeching), generally the larger the range the better. The lowest Hz to the highest kHz would cover the largest range. This is hardly a problem with any complete speaker set. I wouldn't think twice about the range unless it is over 50 or 60 Hz to under 18KHz.

Personally, I prefer Altec Lansing and Klipsch over Logitech by a long run as I can't stand the unclear bass on logitechs and much prefer a clean and crisp bass. Not a thump fan.

I used to agree. But a friend of mine got a Z-680 set about 6 months ago and its the best ive heard, it would replace my Home Theatre set up if I had the money to spend right now.

The Z-680's do not thump by any means, its a true Car stereo'ish bass. I had a pair of Xtants in my car a while back and Id have to say these sound similar, just not as deep, because I dont think a computer sub can match an Xtant sub :rolleyes: . I honestly think you will not be dissapointed either way you go.

"Logitech opted to use full range phase plug drivers, with the tweeter and woofer integrated as one. This has its advantages and disadvantage. The main advantage of course is size; the speaker housing doesn't need to be as big to hold just one speaker unit. Also, having the sound come from the same source generally improves imaging. Of course the disadvantage is that no single unit speaker setup can be as precise as an individual tweeter/woofer setup. Still, the difference should be acceptable to those looking for a $300 set of speakers."

I have the Z-680s and I'm 100% satisfied with them, wouldn't trade them for anthing except for maybe a custom built HT system. The only thing I have to say is: if you get the Z-680s, keep an eye on the amp cause it gets HOT. I put a coupld low speed 80mm panaflo fans on it to keep it nice and cool.

My good friend shard will probably have his Z-5500s next week on Monday, but POSSIBLY Saturday if it's at the FedEx depot for him to pick it up himself, so I'm positive you'll be hearing more praise about the 5500s from him soon. :D

I'd say go for the 5500s becasue the 680s seem to be more expensive than the higher end spearkers at this point in time. If My dad would buy mine from me for $230, I'd go right out and buy myself a set of 5500s for another $50, but that's never going to happen. :(

ok i have (better sayd had) logitech Z-680

there are a peace of commercial (to avoid the what i wanted to say)

if you are in your 40's and kids and neighbours.. then go with them no doubt about it... if you are a soundfreak like me who likes to party.. and sometimes cracks the vol up to 100% DONT BUY THEM. Oh and if you care about customar support.. they dont give a flying crap about you.. (alot of mails and letters where left unaswered)

well that being sayd... the negative things about them are 2:

- the heatspreader is to small and cand dissapate all that heat
- the failsafe that should burnout a tiny fuse was desinged by someone somking alot of pot... never in hell that thing is going to burnout before your entire PCB goes up in smoke...

well i`m trying to fix my burned out z680 and sell it..

i personally would go with the Klipsch system (i didnt hear bad things bout it)

It's not the Klipsch systems are bad, it's just the bass doesn't seem as strong with them, but it's definitely clearer.

I put fans on my Z-680's amp BECAUSE of the heat problem, and I mounted a switch on my desk so I can easily turn them on or off. It doesn't require much airflow to cool that sucker down.

fanson1.jpg

I've had it up at max volume for three hours at the last LAN party playing some really heavy bass techno and it never got really "hot", more like really warm, but not so hot you couldn't sleep on it or something. I was feeling it with the back of my finters and my wrist, which are pretty sensitive to heat.

How long ago did your system die? I built this thing last fall about a week after I got the speakers from NewEgg, sometime around december I think. I posted my fan mod to it in the alternative modding section around January.

Thanks for all the info. I decided to go with the Z-5500 and cut down on some other mods for my case.
Im expecting the speakers today or tomorrow. I'll see if they have the same overheating problem.

BTW nice mod Celeron_Phreak.

if you dont like those the ada995s are great but i was very unlucky and ended up with a set that emits a constant hissing noise, not so noticeable when far away but u can definently hear it, no way i know of fixing it, so with only refurbished and used systems available id be careful

however if you get a set w/o it its a great price for the set, and the subwoofer is rediculous

Yeah, the Z-680s have a hiss to them to, but I don't notice it unless I'm really trying hard to hear it, and it's less noticible when running digital, or so I think so.

NightWolf, if you need to do the same mod, I can dig up the thread I posted of the cooling mod with new, clearer, pictures.

i bought them about 2 years ago... they worked fine 6 mounth with my sounblaster LIVE and some of the time max volume.

then the woofer stopped...
i contacted logitech they ignored

i fixed them, hoocked them up worked fine.. for 30 minutes and then blew again. this time alot of chips blew on the PCB and i`m trying to fix them...
i wont use them anymore though its not worth the risk.. i`ll find some 50 year old guy that listens to elvis at 20% vol and sell`em.

i will look out for the klipsch.

Keep us up to date on the Klipsch, I don't see many people posting about them, which is kind of disappointing, as I'm sure a lot of people want to know some detailed info that some has had personal experience with for a lengthy period of time under different scenarios.

<takes deep breath>

hokay will do... i`m watchin ebay though :)

i just found a z680 woofer + control center for 40 bucks... its still worth replacing mine if it doesnt go over 50.

hmm there was another thing that lead to my z680 burning out...i think
i messured the voltage on my plug and instead of 220 (european standart, it fluctuated between 230-245)

i need to stabilize that somehow.

I have the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1(6 months) and Logitech z680(1.5 yrs) and I have never had a problem with either. The Logitech are very good speakers but the Kilpsch have better clarity and tighter bass. It comes down to personal taste. If you like a louder boom boom type bass then the Logitech is for you. For accurate reproduction, especially playing movies I prefer the Kilpsch.

I am a current owner of Z680's. I have had them for about 1.5 years. I find the satelites sound really good, its the sub i have a problem with. It is incredibly boomy. I have mine set to absolute minimum and for music i still find it way too loud. I am actually trying to sell mine becaues they are too loud for my apartment :(

That sux. I hope I don't have to sell mine when I move into an apartment soon (I hope). I have mind set to the lowest for bass and I don't find it to boomy at all, it's just right. If it is to boomy for my mom's tastes, I just play with the first two equalizer settings on my X-Mystique.

the klipsch ones i think would be the way to go. very clear at 100% although i dont usually get there. Liked mine so much i bought a all klipsch 5.1 (12in. sub)speak surround system in my living room with a yamaha amp. klipsch rocks!

Well, I just got my Z-5500's, and hot damn, for the price, you realy cant beat em at all. And the build quality, nothing on this system is trash, all of it is solid, cabling, buttons, looks, everything. And its not that sissy grey of the Z-680's ;)

I will agree, the sub isnt the most accurate, but is tons of fun to listen to.

Also make sure you get a soundcard that takes advantage of Digital outs, becuase right now just on my 6ch direct onboard sound, it sounds kickass, and I have heard the Z-680's on digital, and its killa.

Just one thing, the damn sub is huge, so find a good place to put it besides under the desk, I did that, and I now have no leg room!

Back