• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TFT for Uni

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhutch

Registered
Im off to uni a week wednesday (AHHHHhh) and an having to look into somthing more portable than my (lovely) 19" Samton CRT.

The PC in the other room has a 17" Hyundai Q17 which i dislike, its smaller and pixally, and make highpitched squeals when you scroll pages, and even a bit when you just move the mouse. YUCKY!!

My dad says he will pay for a 18"/19" TFT for me, seeing as im sorting the PC myself.
- But im worryed im going to spend £250 on somthink im not going to live working at
- Even the 19" TFT are still only 1280*1024 like the 17"s
- So do they look even worse and more 'pixaly' ?

What are the best TFTs atm, and how do the compair with the Q17?

Daniel

are you sure that squeak isn't coming from your PC? Turn the monitor off, then try scrolling and see if it happens. I'm pretty confident it is coming from the PC.

As for 17" against 19", I don't see the 19" being more pixelly than a 17".

Do you intend to use this TFT for gaming? movie watching?

Know Nuttin said:
As for 17" against 19", I don't see the 19" being more pixelly than a 17".
Well, i was thinking just becuase its large in area, but the same no of pixels.

As for useage, mainly surfing the net, but also games and DVDs and £D Cad Packages.

And yes, im sure its the moniter, doesnt do it if i use another (crt) and its less if you turn of the speakers, which i do.

Daniel

it's hard to say, because TN panels aren't that great for video playback but are the fastest at the moment for gaming.

If you can have a look at some models like the Samsung 930BF, ViewSonic VX924, or Dell Ultrasharp 19", it may help in your decision.

Also LCD viewing area are from corner to corner while CRT have some border so a 17" LCD has close to same viewing area as 19" CRT and so on. If you're used to 19" CRT, a 17" LCD won't seems any smaller at all. And 19" LCD will defianlt seems bigger than 19" CRT.

Know Nuttin said:
it's hard to say, because TN panels aren't that great for video playback but are the fastest at the moment for gaming.
- If you can have a look at some models like the Samsung 930BF, ViewSonic VX924, or Dell Ultrasharp 19", it may help in your decision.
OK thanks. ill have a look at those pannels

4GHZ_or_bust said:
Also LCD viewing area are from corner to corner while CRT have some border so a 17" LCD has close to same viewing area as 19" CRT and so on. If you're used to 19" CRT, a 17" LCD won't seems any smaller at all. And 19" LCD will defianlt seems bigger than 19" CRT.
I release that the size for size TFT have a larger area, but a 17" TFT is smaller than a 19" CRT (which is bang on 18" viewable)

Thanks, Daniel

19in TFTs often have the same resolution as 17in TFTs. This does mean that basically a 19in has bigger pixels. I would recommend saving money and going with a 17in TFT to be honest, unless you will be sat a bit far back from the monitor or just like a huge screen. A 19in CRT likely gives you about 18in viewable, which is only about an inch more than a 17in TFT.

A decent 17in TFT should run you £170 to £200.

I have the Relysis TL766 (I think that's the model) at home and I think it is fantastic. It's nice and bright, has a 12ms response time. However it is only analogue input, not DVI. I have never seen a DVI monitor in action so I cannot comment on the difference.

As far as concrete prices go, I know Currys do a 17in Samsung 12ms for £199. They also do one for about £250 which has a built in TV tuner. Thus it can be used both as a monitor AND a TV. May be useful for Uni?

Thanks dave.
- What about 18" TFT, are there many good ones?
- I would greatly prefer DVI, it just seams so silly using D-sub!!
- IM not very bother about the TV tuner as i have a TV card anyway and dont plan to watch tv much anyway.

Thanks again, Daniel

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~102322~WW~/ACER+AL1913W+19++WIDESCREEN+TFT.htm

This is a pretty nice screen. I"ve seen this one in person and I can say that it's got a very nice picture. I didn't get the chance to game though, so I can't comment on it. 20ms isn't exactly quick response but I watched some video on it and it was nice and clean. Only knocks on it for me was that it was analog (I prefer DVI since I have a dual DVI card) and 20ms. Otherwise, this would be at my desk now.

Thanks guys, these links and thoughts are just what i need.
- Ive been reading reviews and the like all day now!!

Daniel

what about the 4ms second samsungs?
- whats the viewing angle like on them then?
- And they good for games/dvds/text

Daniel

I believe the 930BF is the same as the 930B, except Samsung is using overdrive to get 4ms. Viewing angle is not bad. Gaming is very good. I personally don't find TN panels the best for viewing movies on. Text is nice and clear/crisp.

Back