• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do fat32 support files over 4gb?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

I was installing and opening the dvd decripter and it sayd in the log that the hd was in fat32 mode and that it doesn't support files over 4gb??? Is this true? Will it affect copying dvd's??? My laptop came with a 100gb HD divided in two partitions using fat32 default...

If necessary, may I convert the second partition to ntfs? Will the system be able to read it??? :eh?: Dam... wouldn't like to reinstall everything.... reinstall it's necessary sometimes..... but when you don't have a backup, reinstalling every software again sucks.....

no.

You should convert it to NTFS if you want to have single files that are greater than 4GB each. And you shouldn't have any issues if you're running 2000/XP (i'm assuming you are).

at the command prompt, type in convert driveletter /fs:ntfs

You could just use the harddrive manager and convert it to NTFS also.

Truely NTFS is the way to go unless you need to access the drive from DOS or a different OS that doesn't support read/write operations to NTFS.

Yeah, I moved over to 100% NTFS this year when I built my comp below cause I knew I'd be doing stuff with DVD discs and the like. Before I just used FAT32 cause it was slightly faster (not now, since I have a fast comp anyway :)) and I never worked with anything over 1.2GB.

When changing partition types, I never just convert it, I always do a full format from the windows install utility, I want to be sure I get the very best performance from the new partition as possible. Reloading isn't a problem for me, I used to do it 10 times a year before this comp.

If you are on Windows 2000 or XP, use the NTFS partition type unless you are on, say, an XP1700+, which it seems to be horribly slow on for some reason, or anything slower.

Acer software?

deathman20 said:
You could just use the harddrive manager and convert it to NTFS also.

Truely NTFS is the way to go unless you need to access the drive from DOS or a different OS that doesn't support read/write operations to NTFS.

That's my suspicious.... I think the Acer recovery software is something like dos and need the partitions to be fat 32 to work.... Hmmmm , Must confirm that info.... :rolleyes:

In case I reinstall other day everything using ntfs... I'll need a new software to backup.... I don't think my old ghost works.... dãaaaaar .
WHat software do you recomend to "restoring"the system....? What are you using? ANything free?

just do regualr backs p - which you should be doing anyways, NTFS ias more secure and less pron to corruption like FAT32 is.

My FAT32 partitions won't support files larger than 2GB. Perhaps at certain cluster sizes they will allow 4GB, but most times you find that 2GB is the max.

@crilicM@n said:
That's my suspicious.... I think the Acer recovery software is something like dos and need the partitions to be fat 32 to work.... Hmmmm , Must confirm that info.... :rolleyes:

In case I reinstall other day everything using ntfs... I'll need a new software to backup.... I don't think my old ghost works.... dãaaaaar .
WHat software do you recomend to "restoring"the system....? What are you using? ANything free?

Acer's recovery CD's are just an image of their "default" Windows install, on a FAT32 partition. It uses Ghost running under DOS. The FAT32-based install fragments faster than I can defrag it.......

I have a legal CD-Key for my laptop's XP install, but no way of doing a fresh install on an NTFS filesystem. An OEM copy of WinXP Home has been tried, but it rejects the CD key. I'm still working on it :)

RedDeathDrinker said:
Acer's recovery CD's are just an image of their "default" Windows install, on a FAT32 partition. It uses Ghost running under DOS. The FAT32-based install fragments faster than I can defrag it.......

I have a legal CD-Key for my laptop's XP install, but no way of doing a fresh install on an NTFS filesystem. An OEM copy of WinXP Home has been tried, but it rejects the CD key. I'm still working on it :)

I originally posted this in another thread, you might find it helpful:

JCLW said:
There is only one Windows XP Pro distribution. There is one thing different in one file, which is a 5+3 number combination in I386/setupp.ini under the Pid= field

The first 5 digits inform setup what kind of install to allow. Examples:
51882 = Retail setup (allows upgrades or new installs)
82503 = OEM setup (allow new installs only)

The last 3 digits inform setup what kind of CD keys to accept
335 = Retail (accepts retail keys during setup)
270 = VLK (accepts Volume Licensing Keys, which some people here are calling corporate edition keys)
OEM = OEM (accepts OEM keys)

Normally retail cd numbers are matched with retail keys and so forth, but you can also mix and match, say if you wanted to create your own super slipstreamed XP disc that would accept your Dell OEM CD key for when you upgrade the hard drive on that Dell.

So just slipstream your install CD to SP2, edit the I386/setupp.ini file to match the type of install and type of licence key you wish to use, burn it onto a CD and off you go.

Back