• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

having trouble mounting my hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I tried mounting my harddrives using mount /dev/hda1 and it says can't find /UnionFS/dev/hda1 in /etc/fastb or /etc/mtab. I looked on tux files and it says to do it mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and it told me only root can do that so I used su to get into root and it used the command again and it said mount : /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device

how do I mount my harddrives? I have 1 laptop hardrive split up into 2 partitions and 2 usb hard drives, 1 partition each, all NTFS formatted, Preferably I would like to mount them NTFS writeable

I could use a little help, Im trying to get used to using linux as I would like to do a dual boot with linux cause I feel windows is slow, so currently I am experimenting with Knoppix 4.0.

Any help would be appreciated, please pity those of us who are linuxtarded
TheGreySpectre

update: Ok i just found the Fstab mount manager, and found all my stuff its already mounted, now how to I make it so that it is writebable, or how do I use the NTFS emulation thing so I can write to it?

When you mount a hard drive you must give it several different parameters. You give it the device (e.g. /dev/hda1), the mount point (such as /mnt/myharddrive, which MUST exist in advance), and the type of filesystem (e.g. -t ext2).

e.g. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/myharddrive -t ext2

NTFS writing can be enabled in 2.6 kernels, but it is limited. It works if the file size does not change.

The other way is a program called captive ntfs. I have not personally used it, I just converted my windoze 2k partition to FAT32 instead so I could read and write it.

Back