• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a super cool new system :D (hopefully literaly :p)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pirate_Freder

all right guys so originaly i was planning on building a liquid/peltier system around my koolace PC2-650 but i have now decided that it would probabaly be better to just build an entirely new system completely custom. here is what i was thinking, tell me what you guys think. I am mainly concerned as to whether or not the peltier part of it will work, but any other suggestions or wtv would be nice too. also i will be capable of adding more radiators/pumps or wtv if neccesary.

Thanks for all your help :D

EDIT: I will have very high flow Delta fans everywhere :p

Using a 2x120mm heater core and a 1x120mm heater core in series with a 226W peltier on a San Diego 3700 I'm getting -3°C to +3°C idling depending on ambient temp. I've also got a non-pelitered 6800GT card on the same loop. The card idles at about 50°C. Seems to be doing quite welll. Once winter comes around I expect to get a few degrees cooler.

torin3 said:
Using a 2x120mm heater core and a 1x120mm heater core in series with a 226W peltier on a San Diego 3700 I'm getting -3°C to +3°C idling depending on ambient temp. I've also got a non-pelitered 6800GT card on the same loop. The card idles at about 50°C. Seems to be doing quite welll. Once winter comes around I expect to get a few degrees cooler.

so then i guess should be fine cooling my cpu, northbridge, graphics card, and maybe hard drives, maybe one more radiator, probabaly another single 120mm

To cool all that, you are much better off going multiple loops. Put nb, graphics, and hard drives on one loop with a BIX1 or similar and put just the cpu/pelt on another loop with at LEAST 2x120 heater core.

pwnt by pat said:
To cool all that, you are much better off going multiple loops. Put nb, graphics, and hard drives on one loop with a BIX1 or similar and put just the cpu/pelt on another loop with at LEAST 2x120 heater core.

what he said. keeping it all together will have let the heat from the cpu and pelt contaminate the rest of the components in it.

why heater core though? are those better than the BIX's? just tell me what the best radiators are actualy :p

heatercores work as well or better than the BIX radiators, but are not as easy to implement right out of the box. mostly, you need a shroud to get their best performance where you can just slap fans on a BIX radiator and be done with it.

ahh well then i guess i'll get the heater ore cause dangerden sells the shroud with them as an extra option. should i run one fan pushing and the other pulling or what? also i guess i should get the single 120mm heater core two instead of the BX one

honestly, i would read some of the stickies in the cooling section and make a choice based on that info. one of the most popular (if i remember correctly) is a 302 heatercore. weapon (on these forums) makes shrouds for this core and they are supposed to be the best or at least close to it. but ya, check out some of the stickies in the cooling section, you'll find a lot more info than asking single Q's and waiting for responses. (you'll also get less biased info... like i prefer the ease of use that the BIX rads offer, so i reccomend those)

i'm not 100% but i think it's a model number for a heatercore out of hte bonneville... do a search here in the forums and you should get plenty of info on it.

Here's a shot of a WC rig I built last year using a DTek-Pro120 radiator and the optional shroud(about $10 extra).

OutdoorsShot.jpg

I believe I got them off of Cooltechnica including the mounting hardware.

alinosa said:
it's the heatercore, not the radiator itself...lol prolly not much bigger than a BIX2
ohh well dangerden has those
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php?cat=14
i was planning on getting one of the dual 120mm ones(the first one) and one or two of the dingle 120mm ones(at the bottom). also they have the shrouds for them.btw, are 90cfm fans enough to get good performance or do i have to get some high cfm deltas? cause if possible i don't want it to be too loud

wow guys i'm sorry, i feel like an idiot, in my original post when i said "here is what i was thinking" i meant to paste in what i had typed up as to what i wanted but... i forgto to actualy do the pasting and kept on typing :p so here is what i was going to put in

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO resivoir
Swiftech MCP655 1200lph pump
BIX3 mounted inside on the top of the case blowing up
BIX mounted in drive bays sucking into the comp
Swiftech 6002 waterblock
226w peltier(probabaly from DangerDen)
320w meanwell psu
DangerDen 7800 series waterblock or some plain GPU waterblocks
Danger Den MAZE4 Chipset Block(not sure how good this is though or if it is for NF4)

EDIT: I actualy think i am going to get the Swiftech MCW5002-64T which is a complete peltier set up

Last edited:
so with that said alinosa, are the heater cores, mind you they only fit dual 120mm, better than the BIX3 which are triple 120mm?also what about the single 120mm heater cores and the BIX? BTW i did go and read some stickies i just would still like your opinion since you seem to be knowledgeable

I don't know if the 6002 will work with pelts. You have to remember a cold plate is needed. You will also want to get as much surface area as possible. Heater cores are thicker than radiators and thus have more surface area. Look for surface area as opposed to "head dissipation" amounts. For a TEC ONLY loop I would use no less than a 2x120mm (two on one side) heater core.

pwnt by pat said:
I don't know if the 6002 will work with pelts. You have to remember a cold plate is needed. You will also want to get as much surface area as possible. Heater cores are thicker than radiators and thus have more surface area. Look for surface area as opposed to "head dissipation" amounts. For a TEC ONLY loop I would use no less than a 2x120mm (two on one side) heater core.

yeah thats why i made an edit and said that i am actualy getting the MCW5002-64T. does anyone carry a heater core that supports 3x120mm?

Back