• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats wrong with 2 different Ram Brands???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imasoldier

Registered
Ok heres the thing my computer had 512 mb of ram which was 2, 256mb each ram sticks and I just bought an extra 1 gig 512mbs each here are 2 images.

This is the ones with 256mb each...

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5666/17ec1.jpg

This is the one with 512mbs each...

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/66/28te.jpg

My question is, is there anything wrong with 2 different brands? Is having that older version slowing me down alot? Any tips or advice please tell me.
My computer has 4 ram slots so I can fit all of them and it works on my computer with 1,512 mbs of ram just wondering if there is any difference with just using only the corsair 1 gig or all of the ram together.

Memory question goes in the memory section. Please try to keep that in mind for the future. Thanks.
:)

As for your question, sometimes different brands can cause problems, but if your computer is running stable, you have no issues. If you start overclocking you may want to have the same brands in there, it will make things a whole lot easier on you.

Matt

There's nothing wrong with mixing different types of ram, i've been using 2 sticks of kingston and 2 sticks of OCZ memory for a long time. The only this you have to look out for is the speed the ram is running at, and the ram latencies.
The 256 meg sticks are showing as pc 2700 memory while the 512 sticks are showing up as pc 3200 memory.
It looks like you are running all 4 sticks of ram at pc 2700 speeds (166mhz fsb).
If your motherboard can run at 200mhz FSB (pc3200) then you might see better performance with just the 512 sticks, since i don't think the 256 sticks can handle that speed.
If your mother board can only support pc2700 then i don't think you will see any difference on ram combos if you're non-overclocked. Of course if your board only supports pc2700 you could remove the 256 sticks and try overclocking the computer.

some mobos don't like some ram manufactures. using 2 different sticks you just get higher probability something like that can happen. Another con is that the slower one may limit your oc :)

not sure what kind of mobo you have .. but you can always find a happy medium maybe running them all at 200fsb or more.

can you list your full system specs ?

maybe some quick test will tell what the 256 is really capable of doing.

maybe you can post up a screen of cpuz telling us what the 256 timings are then install your 512's and do the same thing (without the 256 in). ..

hopefully your mobo has some decent bios options

Back