• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best currently available bios for K8N neo2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaWiper

Image Compare Man
As title says....

I'm currently at v1.8. My max oc is 2,7ghz (mem:270@2,5-4-4-10). I get this stable with 1.52-1.55V.
2.8 ghz(with divider) is unstable with 1.62v. I haven't tried with more volts as I consider it not worth it. My memory craps out at 275 on this board. However 300x6(w/ divider) seems stable. Maybe it's my cpu that can't take higher speeds. Anyway, I want more!

AFAIK 1B0 or something like that is the latest official, but with issues(MSI sure is great! :D).

I know there are alot of modded bios versions in between, what would you recommend me to try? Or should I stick with what I got and just wait until I have enough funds to get a dfi+pcie card.
(I have tccd mem).

Hey, DaWiper. There are a number of modded bios's that are pretty good. MoPMatrix has a server with all of them here.
http://www.msi.sploitz.com/
I use the Version 1.A0 R1 by Sideeffect and it works well, but I haven't tried the tccd specific one yet. My board will clock to 9x300 at 1.6 volts vcore and it would never do that or even close with the 1.8. The 183 divider works fine and it allows me to get a wider badwidth out of my ram. It will go to 9x278 at 1:1. Please note that I'm using a Winchester. The Venice combined with tccd and the Neo2 for some reason are not the best combo. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip.
I tried to boot with mem set at 270 w/2.5-4-4-10 which is a known stable setting with the 1.8 bios. No post... And to make it worse the "hold-insertkey-to-recover" doesn't work anymore(?).
I went straight back to 1.8. The unknown is scary stuff!
I think I'll just have to wait for the next official MSI release and it's mods. I'm sure they(MSI) will get it right next time. :p
Thanks anyway, rseven

I am sorry to here that it din't work for you. Some good news though, the 1.8 is not the latest official bios. They don't support the extra dividers, but you may still find they are improved over the 1.8, which has now been updated a coulple of times. You can either go to MSI's website http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp
or use their live update tool to check it out. Good luck.

I know they are not the latest official, but I remember reading stuff about 1A0 and 1B0 that i didn't like, but I can't remeber what it was.
Maybe I'll try the official ones one day when I'm bored.
I think that my cpu is maxed anyway. 2,7ghz is stable at 1,52v. 2,8ghz I can't get stable enough to bench. Haven't tried more than 1.62v. Running that high voltage for so little doesn't feel like its worth it..

DaWiper said:
Running that high voltage for so little doesn't feel like its worth it..
I agree. I run mine at the highest it will go without all the extra juice. I just would rather have it run cool and stable then get crazy for questionable gains. (Although it is fun to experiment to see just how high it will go:))

Back