• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Combining CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xFlankerx

How does someone combine more than one CPU? I'm not talking Dual-Core CPUs or Quad-processor Mobos. I mean like a system that has like 10xAthlon 64s or w/e. Obviously it would function as a server, but how would someone go about it?

I suppose. But take this supercomputer for example; it has 288 processors, 144 gigs of memory, and 11.5TB of HD space.

Feast your eyes...

Something like that, but on a MUCH MUCH SMALLER scale. I'm looking for how to combine 5-10 Athlon 64 Processors (Maybe single-core, maybe Dual-Core, whichever is easier) into one machine.

Yea, I'm not trying to get them onto one mobo.

My main questions is simply how to connect two different motherboards (if thats possible) so that two or more processors can function on one PC.

Go for a quad opteron board and use dual core opterons. That would be your simplest option and will run just like any pc. You could use linux or windows server enterprise edition.

The only other option is a cluster, which would be very hard to set up and would get you less performance per Ghz than the single board solution due to the slow network (relatively) and all the overhead caused by running actually different systems.

Go for this and dual core opterons: http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=272 :cool:

on that tyan board ... if you had 4 cpu's and ran games or 3dmark would it use all cpu power or just one cpu until it maxed out ?

Quailane said:
Go for a quad opteron board and use dual core opterons. That would be your simplest option and will run just like any pc. You could use linux or windows server enterprise edition.

The only other option is a cluster, which would be very hard to set up and would get you less performance per Ghz than the single board solution due to the slow network (relatively) and all the overhead caused by running actually different systems.

Go for this and dual core opterons: http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=272 :cool:
Probably the closest thing to a supercomputer on a single system.

9mmCensor said:
Just one CPU. its not multithreaded.

Just imagine running some of those multi-threaded apps on an 8-way tyan opteron board with dual-core processors. :drool:

Could you just imagine seeing 16 2.4Ghz processors in the windows task manager?

Quailane said:
Just imagine running some of those multi-threaded apps on an 8-way tyan opteron board with dual-core processors. :drool:

That would be pretty sweet. Realistically what would something like that cost, $15,000? I don't even know how much memory something like that would need...

Captain Newbie said:
Cluster over network. it won't ever function as one PC unit per se, but it will function as a distributed supercomputer.

Captain Newbie hit it right on, it will act as a cluster, not quite a single computer with multiple processors like a dual core or quad CPU system.

Might I ask what you are planning to use it for? Most common uses are those into Folding at Home and SETI, you know the distributed computing stuff. Even in that case, it is just more simple to build a large rack each with individual "computers." Each of course would have its own stuff, PSU, etc. Google "Folding Farms" You will see what I am talking about.

Quailane said:

I saw a system with a custom motherboard that had 8 dual core 8XX Opterons. Unfortunatly the search system isn't working so I can't find the thread on it. I believe it was made by Sun Microsystems? That rings a bell, but it could have been something else. If I ever stumble across it again I will definitely post a link.

Quailane said:

Could you imagine that XP won't run on that board? :(

(You'll need a highend server edition of 2003, or some *nix, to use it to its full potential.)

But it would _still_ be awesome.

Captain Newbie said:
Could you imagine that XP won't run on that board? :(

(You'll need a highend server edition of 2003, or some *nix, to use it to its full potential.)

But it would _still_ be awesome.

Yeah. Windows 2003 Server enterprise edition. License itself could buy me a dream machine.

Back