• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lm-sensors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I install lm-sensors with apt-get ran sensors-detect and when i type sensors i get "no sensors found" i know my sensors are supported because i used lm-sensors on my comuter before

Run 'sensors-detect' without quotes as root. It will tell you what kernel modules you need to load. Load these with 'modprobe nameofmodule' as root, without quotes, one at a time. You can also have them automatically loaded at boot by putting them in /etc/modprobe.conf. That should get it working.

the only one that the sensors-detect says succesfull to is ITE 8705F then in the part i am supposed to put in /etc/modules is it87 so i would run modprobe it87?

i installed the i2c-source and type in modprobe it87 and get "modual not found"

i found a site that says run update-modules and then do the modprobe but still nothing

If you have the names of the modules correct, but they are not found, you need to build the modules. i.e. You need to modify your kernel config and rebuild it.

It's not really hard, but it's not really newbie either. You might want to wait a few weeks and get more comfortable with linux first.

I'm not even sure exactly how to do it in debian, as I'm more of a gentoo user. There are some others on this forum that really know debian much better than I do. They might be able to give more details. I don't think debian installs kernel sources by default. Gentoo always has the kernel sources installed as you always build the kernel yourself during the install. The basic idea is that you install kernel sources with apt-get, then use make menuconfig to edit the kernel config file (or your favorite text editor if you're a purist). Then you build the kernel and install the modules. Finally copy the kernel to the boot partition and make grub/lilo boot it.

It's not that bad, and it's definitely something you will need to learn to do if you want to harness the full power of linux. However, I'd probably wait a few if I were you.

jmh547 said:
that sounds very hard

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig -- I think its the device drivers section, add all the items that you think you will need with the (M) swith to make them modules, or (*) for them to be built into the kernel.
make && make modules_install

Then once the modules are built you can modprobe them to load them, and rerun sensors-detect

If you do it, make sure you install the right kernel sources. Also, make sure to start with the config file used to build your current (default) kernel. It's not in the /usr/src/linux directory by default in debian, as the sources aren't installed by default. Maybe it's in the boot directory? I'm not sure really.

i think i will wait a little while since i am having trouble getting a login manager working

Like any software, Linux gets easier and easier the more you use it. IMO, it's really not any harder than winblows, it's just that people are usually more familiar with winblows and so Linux is different.

jmh547 said:
i think i will wait a little while since i am having trouble getting a login manager working

You can always log in via the CMD line and then startx.

That is the way I prefer to do it, incase I screw up my xorg config.

Same here, I don't use login managers normally. I am for the mythtv frontend box, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Back