• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P-180 vs. my current case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

In your opinion would the P-180(with the exhaust grates cut out and the 120mm in the front) cool better than my current TT V1000A? All the grates restricting air flow have been cut out in my case and all fans replaced by 80mm masscool fans.

Also, does the FSP AX500-A fit fine in the P-180, like cables reaching things.

IIRC the cables on the AX500-A will reach, but I wouldn't buy that PSU for the A7N8X due to it being a 5v design ;)

There's a low combined limit for the 3.3v and 5v rails of 160w - there's a chance it will be overloaded despite the label ratings. Also, one 12v rail will not be loaded at all on your system (12v2).

If the Truepower is working fine, I'd keep that until ready to upgrade. If it's not working properly, go for an older Fortron/Sparkle FSP300-60PN, FSP350-60PN, or FSP400-60PNU. If you're looking for overkill, there's always the 530w too ;)

Reminds me, I'll probably be buying my own P180 soon - I should go measure the 530's cables.

Well the case will probly come with a x800pro which i will OC and that made me think i needed more power because my current 5v rails are dropping to 4.8v and stuff. I wanted to get one that would be more future proof. If that isnt that good for me, then how about the OCZ powerstream 520?

The PS520 doesn't like heavy 5v and 3.3v loads - regulation destabilizes if it gets high enough. You might be ok with it, but it's hard to say. If you could still find the 470w, that one would do fine though. Honestly I would try the AX500-A on your board before the OCZ 520w, but neither are really the best way to go for that board.

There are a couple Zippy models that have both high 5v and high 12v capacity... the HP2-6500P is rated 40A @ 5v and 32A @ 12v. Newegg had that one for $110 last I checked. This one will run everything up to and including SLI, so it's fairly future proof. However, it's a server unit and won't likely be the quietest thing around. Not sure how long the cables are, but since the 460w version of this is at the top of my list for the next upgrade, I may email them and find out.

The P180 is a really good case but to get its full cooling potential your going to have to sacrafice its quiet features. You also may not like the restrictive nature of the front of the case. IMO you cant go wrong with a good heatsink you should be able to run the fans on medium and keep it both cool and quiet. I would definitly test fit the PSU and motherboard first before setting up the whole system just to make sure. I had a very hard time getting an Antec TruePower 2 450w in there with a DFI ultra-d mobo. Other than that no complaints.

Its just that its not really worth getting another PSU aimed at my current system. I may end up picking up a 3000 venice and a 939 AGP board possibly. Plus i like the snaziness of the AX500-A. It cant be that bad, can it? Also this will more than likely be a christmas gift.(P-180 and AX500-A)

The AX500-A might do ok, I just can't guarantee it won't do the same thing the True is doing now. This model was able to exceed its 3.3v and 5v ratings in SPCR's test rig for long periods, but it's hard to tell from that how it'll behave for you being a different unit. I don't think it'll do badly, but if the load on the 5v and 3.3v is high enough the PSU's life will be shortened.

I'd say go for it if you're expecting to upgrade fairly soon after. Keep the True around just in case the AX500-A doesn't like the 5v load.

Just emailed Zippy about their 460w. Hope I can find one to buy when the time comes for me ;)

I read a review of a guy with the same board as me and same chip at 2.5ghz and he says his rail only drops .25v So that reassures me a little.

Back