• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows networking, I hate you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SavageBasher

Ok, so I have 2 computer on the network, my a64 and my celly. All was well when I first got them networked. Now last night I reinstalled xp on the celly, and they refuse to see each other. I tried everything. Tried changing the workgroup, and now the a64 says that I dont have permission on that workgroup. Same admin accounts on both computers. Don't know what to do now. :bang head

Dhcp being assigned by home router? If you're directly connected, I would say double-check ip/subnet configuration.

Make sure password is set on both admin counts due to group policy refusing remote logins from usernames with no password. How exactly are you going about seeing the other computer? Are you using My Network Places and going to "View Workgroup Computers?" If so, can you at least see the other computer? When do you get the error message? Is it when you try to map a drive, double click the other computer in my network places, view a share in start/run using UNC path? Need more info on what exactly you have done/configured. A screenshot of the error would be nice.

Last edited:
Both have staic ips, I hate dhcp. Both admin accounts have the same password, and nothing shows up in the workgroup. This is when I get the error, it says I do not have access to it. Nothing is showing up on either computer.

Make sure file and print sharing is enabled
Make sure filesharing is being forwarded on your xp firewall. Temporary solution and for troubleshooting purposes, you could be to disable xp firewall on both machines and see if you can solve the problem.
Make sure that your ips/subnet are using the same naming schema. Both subnets have to be the same on both computers and your ips have to be using the same schema.

Try pinging both computers using both the ip and the computer name
Start > run > type cmd and hit enter

Got it fixed. I had to go through the stupid network setup again, and now all is well. :D

I never use the windows firewall, there is no use for one on a lan, and I would never use thw windows one.

[14:17:39] <Savage|Celly> Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600)) ¤ Uptime: (1h 3m 34s) ¤ Record Uptime: (13h 52m 43s set on Sun Oct 09 13:14:41 2005)
[14:17:40] <Savage|Celly> Memory Usage: (Usage: 121/376MB (32.18%))

:D :D

Back