• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which PSU for these specs? pls help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krait

Hey there. Assistance pls !!

Athlon 64 3000+
(2x) 6600 GT in SLi
(2x) pc3200 400 512mb OCZ Platinum Revision 2 @ 2-2-2-5
250gig HD
Panasonic Slimline DVD-r/rom (soon to be replaced by plextor, etc)

I plan on overclocking this thing up to, or higher than:
CPU: 2.6
RAM: 500 @ 2.5-3-3-8
Vid cards: not sure yet

Two PSU's that I'm thinking about are:
SilverStone Zeus 650W (way expensive)
Ultra X-Connect Modular 500W

I've searched various website and forums, but I'm lost when it comes to PSU's and have no idea which would be ideal for overclocking.

Currently using some lame generic PS that I have laying around and I am very limited to overclocking. (3% over stock)

I'm trying to stick to under $100. Any ideas as to what PSU I should get for stable overclocking?

What he said is good. You might want to consider the OCZ PowerStream 520W since you have a SLI, but I don't think 6600GTs require that much power anyways. The Fortons are only about $80ish, look around at actbuy.com or ewiz.com.

NeoSpawn said:
http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

i found that, its a power supply calculator ^_^ Im sure it will be quiet useful for you. And i have a 6600GT with the SLI, Just one of them is really nice :-D im jealous you are getting two of them.
Neat little tool.
I only got up to 360ish watts.
Seems low.
But I think I'm going to go with the OCZ 520w PSU.

Oh, and BF2 already runs smooth as ever with everything high, cept for lighting and texture at medium. Although I overclocked a tad more than I should have (I guess) and I got a blue screen when I tried to quit BF2, D'oh?

Thx for all your help guys. :)

Well I have my 6600GT from MSI, it has software to OC while you play so let the software do its thinkg. But i remember playing Prince of Persia, the textures and polygons were messed up when i did the overclocking. Why is that?

how accurate is that tool? seems a little low vs. what some people recommend on here. just curious, because it looks like i can save a few bucks

LordDarik said:
Don't get me wrong, the OCZ Powerstream is a top-of-the-line PSU, but it is well over $100. If you can afford that, than great!
$120 after $20 mail-in rebate on newegg. Not too much over a bill.

Two OCZ 520w...

Anyone care to elaborate on the differences between these? In greek and english preferably?

Last edited:
The SLI version has two PCI-E connectors and a blue LED fan - that's the only difference.

SteveOCZ said:
We recently released a new SLI ready version that is dual rail. AFAIK the old one with a single 12V rail is still selling. I will check later to make sure and get back to you
That one also has dual rails, not as good as a fat single rail in my opinion.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
The SLI version has two PCI-E connectors and a blue LED fan - that's the only difference.
I'm using the MSI K8N NEO4/SLI mobo and two 6600 GTs that don't need seperate power connectors to work.
Would the two PCI-E connectors really benefit me at all?
That, and where exactly do the PCI-E connectors plug into? The cards, or the mobo? Because neiter have power plugs for the slot.. I think.. Or does it just supply more/cleaner power to the 2 PCI-E slots through the 24-pin connector?

Hiya Nexus, thx. :)

Darik, I think I would prefer two rails over one any day. Seems more efficient IMO. Even though I don't know exactly what all the specs mean.

You don't need the two PCI-E connectors with 6600's IIRC (these plug into the vid cards), but they might come in handy someday.

FWIW if all you're planning to run is two 6600's, there are quite a few more units that would do very well. The Fortron AX500-A and Seasonic S12 500w are two more to consider - I know there are people around powering SLI 6600's off the AX500-A for sure.

Decided to go with the OCZ PowerStream SLI Ready 520w.

For $102 shipped. Not too bad.

I'll bump this post up with my overclocking results when it gets here.

Thx for all your help guys. :)

We need a Sticky for awhile about these OCZ's...They are NOT...again NOT dual rail units on the 520's.

That information comes directly from the horses mouth.

OCZSteve has stated this on this forum. I have read numerous posts stating that these units are dual rail, and it's becoming an urban legend now. We need to nip that in the butt and get the right iformation out there.

A sticky would help until this myth dies down, and all of these websites have been corrected.

Back