• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World smallest Refrigerator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
The National Institute of Standards and Technology-designed refrigerators, each 25 by 15 micrometers, are sandwiches of a normal metal, an insulator and a superconducting metal. When a voltage is applied across the sandwich, the hottest electrons "tunnel" from the normal metal through the insulator to the superconductor. The temperature in the normal metal drops dramatically and drains extra heat energy from the objects being cooled.

The researchers used four pairs of these sandwiches to cool the contents of a silicon nitrate membrane that was 450 micrometers on a side and 0.4 micrometers thick. A cube of germanium 250 micrometers on a side, about 11,000 times larger than the combined volume of the fridges was glued on top of the membrane. This is roughly equivalent to having a refrigerator the size of a person cool an object the size of the Statue of Liberty. Both objects were cooled down to about -459° F.

The refrigerators are made using common chip-making lithography methods, which makes it easy to integrate them in production of other micro scale devices. These tiny fridges are much smaller and less expensive than conventional equipment.

Article obtained from: http://www.livescience.com/imageoftheday/siod_050427.html

I wonder if this could be applied to our needs? Imagine a smaller unit and easier to maintain.

Yeah sounds like they shrunk the good old TEC. I wonder what the power useage are like. Maybe future CPU could integrate that inside the chip?

I am still looking for more information on this. It does look rather nice for someone who does not want a huge power draw or the techincals on a full blown TEC. The size is what interested me.

I wonder if it could make our large heatsinks smaller.

Enablingwolf said:
I am still looking for more information on this. It does look rather nice for someone who does not want a huge power draw or the techincals on a full blown TEC. The size is what interested me.

I wonder if it could make our large heatsinks smaller.

Well, a small tec isn't gonna cool a processor. They had the mini tecs cool a small cube of germanium that is 250 microns long to a side! That is in a lab and since the germanium puts out no heat, they were just testing the maximum temp difference between the hot and cold side. Never said how long they were running to get that or the ambient temperature on the hot side of the tecs. (I am assuming very cold to keep them from frying and attempting very cold cold side temps)

If you run a tec, your heatsink can only get larger. It does look good that it seems these may be more efficient than our standard ones, but they would need to be the same size or larger to help out on our future procs.

Last edited:
if amd started shoving tecs in to their chips that wouldnt be that great for some of us, ie thouse with phase change. When you have a head at -50C on your chip the tec would only get in the way and hurt things. The way I see it once you cooled the top of the tec and rid it off all the heat is it putting out the extra cooling isnt going to make the tec cool better on the other side, I suppose the cold passing though the tec from the head will but it would pass alot easier with no tec in the way.

:-/ in which case 2 thumbs down for integrated tecs.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
if amd started shoving tecs in to their chips that wouldnt be that great for some of us, ie thouse with phase change. When you have a head at -50C on your chip the tec would only get in the way and hurt things. The way I see it once you cooled the top of the tec and rid it off all the heat is it putting out the extra cooling isnt going to make the tec cool better on the other side, I suppose the cold passing though the tec from the head will but it would pass alot easier with no tec in the way.

:-/ in which case 2 thumbs down for integrated tecs.

You should read up on TECs, they dont make heat dissapear, they move it.

Best way to understand a TEC is as a heat pump, not a complete cooler. In the process they also add in their own heat. Slap micro TECs in a laptop and you still gotta get rid of the heat through some sort of heatsink or radiator that can dump it fast enough to keep it cool considering the max dif in temps per side of the TEC.

...Thats why I said what I said. It is a heat pump and it can only pump so much. If you cool a 100w pelt to -50C and then to -100C the later one will not make it pump more heat, hence the -100C cooling power above is wasted.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
...Thats why I said what I said. It is a heat pump and it can only pump so much. If you cool a 100w pelt to -50C and then to -100C the later one will not make it pump more heat, hence the -100C cooling power above is wasted.

It will pump the same heat at 100c cooler......

The pelt creates a temperature drop from the hot side, cool the hot side an extra 20c and the cold side will cool anouther 20c. I dont see how that is wasted. Except for the fact that there is not much diff between -50c and -100c in OCing.

DickH said:
hey, didnt AMD get a patent on integrating TEC's on the chip?

I think ur right DickH, I do remember reading something about that a while back...

TECs loose efficiency at negative temps. So phase changing a TEC on a cpu isn't going to make the cpu any colder.

I also give a thumbs down to TECs integrated on a cpu. Overall case heat would increase a lot, and water cooling or a much more efficient air cooling would have to be required to keep a 200w cpu (it will come one day) cool plus a ~350-500w TEC on that. Not to mention the power requirements they would need.

I don't think the average computer market needs extreme cooling for a long time. Massive air cooled heat sinks should be able to handle heat output for many years to come.

Back