• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drivers becoming a nuisance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Endolphins

im having some problems with the drivers for my Asus Extreme AX800XL

when i start up my computer it always tells me it doesnt recogize the VGA card. So i uninstall the ATI display drivers and reboot the computer with the ATI Drivers cd inserted. And then i just click "ok" whenever it asks me if I want to install the drivers for my "new hardware".

Not very hard to fix. Becoming a bit of a nuisance though. How do i fix it?

Well for starters try getting the latest drivers from www.ati.com and get the one with the control panel not the CCC. Uninstall your current drivers and install the new ones.

Download and install Driver Cleaner 3 Once installed reboot your system in safe mode. Open driver cleaner and uninstall any ATi drivers you have, reboot again but as normal. Then hit ATi's website for the latest drivers.

EDIT: :welcome: to the forum!! :)

Last edited:
Sorry for bringing up such an old thead, but i still have the problem. I tried going into safe mode, removing all the drivers, but the card still wont work properly.

In the device manager (under the tab "hardware" in the "system" thingie in the control panel) it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" but it recognizes it as an Asus Extreme AX800 XL. The dxdiag doesn't recognize the card at all, and tells me to reinstall the drivers, because D3D ain't working.

This is really annoying, since i cannot even solve it the old way (the first problem, top of the thread). Which basically means i can give up everything in the likes of playing games. And that sucks. Basically.

Did you do a fresh windows install? And did you install your chipset drivers before installing the VGA drivers?
Also info about the rest of you system could be helpfull

more info it is then.

i did install the chipset before the VGA. Im running a Asus A8N5X motherboard with nForce 4. My windows install is recent, just about a week old. It's win XP professional 2002 SP2. I installed the chipset first thing after i installed windows, the VGA drivers second (probably, but im certain the chipset was first).

I have tried everything i can think of, exept reinstalling windows. Might just try to remove the chipset drivers as well as the VGA drivers and then reinstall, VGA first, as you implied. Dunno what difference it will make though. Does it matter what i install first?

EDIT: Tried that too, now. No difference whatsoever. Im startin' to give up here... methinx im gonna go look for a new windows copy somewhere...

I found some info saying that it might be because my bios settings are wrong. Something to do with IRQ. Could that be it? I looked in my bios and all the settings looked fine. Dunno if they really are though, as im not all too sure what im looking for. Im gonna try one more reinstall. If it doesn't work i think i just might want to get drunk...

Got some more info. I forgot to tell that whenever i try to start up the computer there is a dialogbox telling me that something cannot find graphics card details. I think it's the smart doctor, but im not sure.

Last edited:
If you haven't reinstalled windows yet, try it, run windows update, update everything.
Then get the latest nvidia chipset drivers install that, then the ATI drivers, see if it helps, if not try to contact ASUS, maybe they will be able to help you, it could a problem with your specific video card?

I more or less had similar problems, the mobo would see that my card was there but the drivers wouldnt work.I uninstalled every driver I had for my card plus the onboard video.Ran drive cleaner pro to remove the rest and powered down my comp. I ended up pulling my card out and turning the power back on,the comp shut itself off. I put the card back in and went to www.atitech.com loaded the newest drivers and havent had any problems since.

Back