• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brother game me his old AMD XP 2100 system, what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VinnyTAMU

Well my brother gave me his old AMD 2100 / Gigabyte GA-7VAXP mother board. From an overclocking stand point what am I looking at. How do these 2100's overclock. This gigabyte mobo looks like the crappiest mobo ever made but maybe there is some potential. Should I sell this setup or could I use it for folding? How much could I get for this setup?

Specs on chip are
AMD
AX2100DMT3C
My brother build this computer in late 2003 so the manufacture date of the chip is probably mid 2003.

Fuhgeddabout using the gigabyte easytune FSB tool, it screws up way too much.

A lot of ppl with these boards found that running the FSB sync tops it out in the 180s. Sounds like your CPU is unlockable though, so you should be able to do a bit on the multi. You might want to change the default voltage on the CPU voltage bridges though because gigabyte only lets you have +10%, setting it to something like 1.7V might be good. Then you can have up to 1.87V which is as far as you want to go unless you're determined to kill it. Should go most of the way on 1.7 though, the last 0.2V on tbreds seem to only squeeze another 100-200 Mhz at marginal stability.

The multi should be 13 I think. Probably without much messing you should be able to put the vcore on +10% and get 13x166=2166, then if you mod default voltage to 1.7 and give it +5% you should hit 13x180, though you might need to bump the AGP voltage up a bit, improves chipset stability on these boards.

Hum actually DMT3C should be 1.65V default I think which should get over 1.8V on +10% so it won't be worth it to mess with the voltage bridges, it'll pretty much max out on that on air.

Anyway, if you fiddle around with it, you may get it stable at around 2.4G, with decent enough FSB, then you can turn on bank interleaving on the RAM with a util or WPCREDIT and get nearly the same bandwidth as an NF2, so performance would be not far behind the fastest stable everyday overclocks of socket A systems.

There's probably an "unlocked" overclockers BIOS around that will let you play with more timings than the stock one.

Anyhoo, yah, not the greatest overclockers board of all time there but better than some, and can be made to zip along.

Value is a problem, with low end Dells being so cheap, you're probably going to get more money for it parted out. Otherwise you'll find you'll only get about $100-150 for it, presuming rest of spec is to about mid 03 midrange standards. Parted you might get, $40 CPU, $40 mobo, $50 HDD...... Depends on how the local market is, round here local selling will get you $200 for anything you can surf the net on.

Anyhoo, depends on what you feel like doing with it, with some attention you can clock it up enough that it will probably still play 90% of the games on the shelf fairly well. Using it as a folder is good too, depending on cooling that might limit you to about a 2.2G overclock, because these boards can be got stable enough for gaming and surfing on higher clocks but tend to lock up every 48 hours when folding etc, in 100% load scenarios at higher clocks. 2.4G that locks up once every two days and loses a days work each time is only folding as fast as a 1.2G system .. :D

Anyhoo, good luck,

Road Warrior

Back