• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 @ 4.5 Show/Story/Struggle Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
24/7 on air with a Noctua NH-D15, 55c blend and 60c small fft. As it is your overclock is already good, but you have 2 problems: motherboard is holding you back as you should be using chipset 990 and you need more cooling. Neither are worth spending $$$ on if you're planing on moving to Ryzen unless you're really interested in OC just for the sake of OC, I would sell these parts to grab myself a better GPU for example. But there's plenty here that are more then happy to help if you decide to go for it after Ryzen :)

The chipset in and of itself has nothing to do with the overclocking abilities of a board. There are terrible 990FX boards that don't overclock for beans. The Stilt said that the Aura is as good as any 990FX board including the Sabertooth 990FX R2 or CH5FZ if you aren't using exotic cooling.

Could've sworn there was some sort of speed difference between 970 and 990fx, must be confusing it with something else :confused:

Wait I just noticed something your running the same speed for your cpu/nb frequency as your ht link frequency? Turn down the cpu/nb frequency your WAAAAAAAAAY to high stock on those are

Cpu/nb 2200
HT link 2400

There not the same.. that will help a ton other than that ... looks good! Or as close as you can since you turned up the cpu bus frequency!!

Cheers!

Wait I just noticed something your running the same speed for your cpu/nb frequency as your ht link frequency? Turn down the cpu/nb frequency your WAAAAAAAAAY to high stock on those are

Cpu/nb 2200
HT link 2400

There not the same.. that will help a ton other than that ... looks good! Or as close as you can since you turned up the cpu bus frequency!!

Cheers!
Not completely true. They do not have to be the same.
HT link speed @ stock settings should be 2600 for FX. CPU/NB will not be unless it's an exceptional IMC on the CPU. Shoot for 2400 on the CPU/NB. If you can get higher than that stable, even better.

Cpu/nb 2200
HT link 2400

Cheers!

Not completely true. They do not have to be the same.
HT link speed @ stock settings should be 2600 for FX. CPU/NB will not be unless it's an exceptional IMC on the CPU. Shoot for 2400 on the CPU/NB. If you can get higher than that stable, even better.

Oh Dang, haven't checked this in a minute. Thanks for the input!
It's funny you mention that Threadman, this 970 pro sets the cpu/nb and the HT link to those values at stock. But the sub par mobo i was using in the original OC put the stock settings at what Mr. Scott stated. There was one time I was actually running them both about 2600 on that little board. which were the max speeds I could set. This 970 wouldn't let me set either of them past 2400, and I had to use the FSB to get them both to 2508.

I have been stable at these speeds for more than a month now so i'm very happy.

Time for an update!

I just picked up a second XFX 280x for crossfire! all said and done, it was about half of what I paid for my first one new. This should hold me over until end of year when I can afford to upgrade the rest of my system.

pulling this thing out of the box has me reminiscing about the project that was needed to get that card running. Is there a Frank-en-Build thread anywhere? Cuz these should go there...

Frank2.jpg

Frank3.jpg

Frank4.jpg

Frank1.jpg

Good Times... ran this way for 6 months before I got it into a proper case lol.

Actually brings up a good question..

I don't think my 735w PSU is up to the task of Crossfire, and my OC.

If I rig up a 2nd psu and us it to power my 2nd GPU independently, would this cause any issues once I bring back my OC profile?? Or any issues in general lol. PCIe frequency is set to 100 so it should be ok right?

Your PSU wasn't up to the task before you added the second card. ;)
It's not the wattage, it's the quality of the power and components used.
That PSU failed 2 out of 5 categories, and was boarder line on another.

Buy 1 decent PSU and you have no worries.

haha. yea admitadly jumped the gun getting the 2nd card before a new PSU, this current one was definitely a budget choice. Kinda glad I did tho, the 280x's on ebay went up another 10 bucks lol.

I've been looking at Seasonic PSU's at 850 & 1000w, trying to decide between 80Plus Gold, Platinum or Titanium. They are all priced within $30 of each other.
I understand the efficiency ratings, just not sure what is best for my application.

Right now I'm using the computer for gaming (working up to 4k), I do plan on running the OC 24/7, but I'm not doing anything with it while I'm at work so it does find its way to sleep mode.

What were the categories you mentioned? Maybe I can find some insight but looking at those for each of my options.

actually should be fine there only rated at 250w per card? Double check your model number and make sure that there fine, if you do upgarde your psu go with a gold or platinum psu it will help a ton as well. I run a dual Gigabyte windforce R9 270 with ease on a corsair 650w gold full modular power supply just fine. But not really overclocked to hard either since I haven't gotten the new Phantek p400 case setup in full watercooling yet.. lol Its a work in process.... Other than that you shouldn't have to much problems, you can also check your setup for power at pcpartpicker.com as well. Will give you a rough estimate of what power your looking at make sure to put all your parts in there though! Cheers and good luck!

Yea the asus pro 970 gaming boards are different than the other board I have in my sons machine, he is running a gigabyte 970 ds3 an it is at scott stated kinda confusing... but word of advise always check your board on stock settings and write them down, there all different not one board is the same on settings there close but never the same found that out on the core2 quad machines that we had before. Asus vs msi ... so different i had to clock them totally different including voltage... was crazy.

actually should be fine there only rated at 250w per card? Double check your model number and make sure that there fine, if you do upgarde your psu go with a gold or platinum psu it will help a ton as well. I run a dual Gigabyte windforce R9 270 with ease on a corsair 650w gold full modular power supply just fine. But not really overclocked to hard either since I haven't gotten the new Phantek p400 case setup in full watercooling yet.. lol Its a work in process.... Other than that you shouldn't have to much problems, you can also check your setup for power at pcpartpicker.com as well. Will give you a rough estimate of what power your looking at make sure to put all your parts in there though! Cheers and good luck!

Yea I had used Newegg's PSU calculator. It estimated me at 750w running the 2 cards. Doesn't take into account the OC tho, so I really liked Cooler Master's calculator. Running crossfire and my OC @ 4.5 it estimated my power draw at 783w.

I had the morning off today so I thought I'd just hook up the 2nd card and find out for sure lol.

with no OC at all it worked great, my Fire Strike Extreme score went from 3800 to 5800 with the 2nd card. WooHoo!

Then I added my 4.5 OC and re ran the benchmark..... and a freeze. As Expected.

Dropped my clock down to 4.2, pretty stoked that it only took one shot to get it stable enough for another bench. Scored a 6023 on Fire Strike Extreme. And now I'm doing a p95 custom Blend while I'm at work to make sure its rock solid stable.

Back