• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to calculate fan dba & cfm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
ok, im really bad at maths, i really just cant do it and dont even begin to comprehend how most of it works - and im completely stuck on the following question:

My 120mm case fans are too loud (not for me, but everyone else I live with says theyre too loud), so theyre up for replacement...thing is iv no idea what dba theyre currently running at and what cfm theyre pushing...so I dont know what to look for in new fans (as i dont wanna lose much airflow).

Atm im running 120mm sanyo denki's (the ones dockguys was selling with SSS' endorsement a while back) which i think are supposed to be like 110-ish cfm at 45/40dba? I run them all at 7v the whole time (as at 5v they wont start up) -
can anyone work out what estimated cfm & dba they should be running at at 7v based on the 12v specs?

I cant be sure of the exact 12v specs as I couldnt find them online...but theyre roughly right.

thanks folks!

Hmm, either time how long it takes to have the fan fill a plastic bag of X volume...

or ....

Look up the MFG's spec sheet?

maybe emailing the mfg could get you in contact with an engenier that can give you a better system than i.

how do you change the voltage of the fans? o0r make them run at a different voltage other than the max

one way is to hook them up to a fan controller, or you can use a motherboard header and use software to turn them down - tho my prefered method is to rewire up a molex to run them at 5 or 7v ;)

rewire a molex anywhere I can find a guide or tut because only one of my fans get rpm control

Someone here, Voodoo Rufis I think? Has an excel spreadsheet of a couple of fans and their differences between rpm, voltage, cfm, and db. You can plug any fan into the equation.

Back