• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to upgrade - GTX 1060, Kraken, H55, San Ace

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jasonaaronfox

Update: Page 2 has the pics from the Kraken install. So far, incredible results. Going to a machine shop this week to get a new fan hole cut in my case. Waiting on microelectronics for additional pwm signal generation to run an additional (2) San Ace 12v 4amp fans. Added two San Ace 60mm 12v .47amp fans to cool the vram on the GPU.

--------------

I built this mini-itx pc for gaming back around 2012 and haven't upgraded anything other than the hard drive in it yet. It has done thousands of hours of service in Skyrim and Fallout games with ENB, and the graphics card is the part I am finally giving the boot.

Specs:

Case:
Lian Li mini-ITX case
Corsair 650W power supply

CPU/Motherboard/Memory:
Intel Core I5 2500k
Corsair H60 AIO cooler hooked to a Sanyo San Ace 120mm 12v 4amp fan with custom controller
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
4gbx2 of GSkill Ripjaws ram DDR3 2133

Storage:
Crucial MX500 SSD

Video:
MSI Twin Frozr III GTX 660 2GB

IMG_0309.JPG
bench.PNG
IMG_0108.JPG

The upgrade is a little unorthodox. I suppose I could have gone with a faster GPU for what this setup cost, but for my purposes I would rather go an odd route. I'm waiting for parts to arrive in the mail so there won't be photos of the new setup until next week.

New video card setup:
EVGA 1060 3gb single fan card, non superclocked version (got a good deal)
Kraken G12 Shroud (got a great deal)
Corsair H55 AIO cooler (bought new)

I will use the stock cooling fan from the H55 for now, but may upgrade it to another SANYO or just pump both radiators with the one SANYO San Ace if need be. I only run it at 11% speed right now and it keeps my CPU under 60c when gaming at a 4.3ghz stable overclock.

Last edited:
I had trouble getting a higher stable overclock despite the opportunity to adjust voltages and the ample cooling on the cpu. Might have been a bad 2500k, core 2 always runs hotter than the rst, or might have been my ineptitude. Open to suggestions on how to maximize the setup.

Yeah... for 1080p gaming, i surely would have went with 6gb. 3gb is getting long in the tooth at 1080p today...nonetheless a couple of years from now. 4gb gddr would be what I consider a minimum.

What settings have you tried on the cpu?
Why is the bus 103? Its an unlocked cpu...use the multiplier only (for now).
Temp differences between cores are normal.

Did you mean to say 4 amps for the Sanyo fan? That would ventilate a small room.

Did you mean to say 4 amps for the Sanyo fan? That would ventilate a small room.

Yes. Rather quiet when you set it down to 10-12% for full on gaming. CANNOT be hooked directly to your motherboard though. There used to be schematics in the 4 pin PWM controller thread on this forum for the PCB and the code for the software from when I made a fan controller a few years ago. IMG_0107.JPG
Anyone who needs a controller can PM me and I'll send the source code and schematics. It involves flashing a PIC microchip and building a pcb, but it's not that difficult.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Yeah... for 1080p gaming, i surely would have went with 6gb. 3gb is getting long in the tooth at 1080p today...nonetheless a couple of years from now. 4gb gddr would be what I consider a minimum.

It has been so many years since I overclocked that I cannot honestly remember what I did, or why I did it. I just remember running into problems with stability above 4.3ghz regardless of what I tried. I will try your overclocking guide that I just saw in your signature block (how helpful!!) thank you.

I may upgrade later on to the 6gb version when prices drop even more dramatically. For now that should be plenty enough for Skyrim SE with a reshader. The high resolution texture pack seems overrated to me anyway.

Last edited:
If you cant return the 3gb, the res no point in getting the 6gb down the road as an nb upgrade. Now or never on that.

If you cant return the 3gb, the res no point in getting the 6gb down the road as an nb upgrade. Now or never on that.

Perhaps. Though, by the time I actually need 6gb of Vram it will likely be time to upgrade the whole setup. Multi-threading will have advanced in usage enough to warrant a new setup. I'm not likely to buy another game until an actual Fallout (not 76) or another Elder Scrolls (not online!!!) comes out. By then it will be time to relegate this whole system to secondary duty.

I can't return the 3gb, but I got a good enough deal on it to warrant the entire setup. It will certainly be a vast improvement over the GTX 660.

Little update:

Got the GTX 1060 in. Wow is that a hot little card! The VRAM proved plenty for my purposes (right now), but it pushes 84C without a custom fan profile in afterburner, and still pushes 72-75C with a custom fan profile.

I'm glad I decided to watercool it. When those parts arrive I'll take the plunge on the conversion and take photos. Hopefully I can get it all to fit into this case.

Those temps are surprising. The card, is it the one with the single fan ACX cooler? Just because it seems to be sitting a good 10-12c hotter than mine with the stock fan profile.

Those temps are surprising. The card, is it the one with the single fan ACX cooler? Just because it seems to be sitting a good 10-12c hotter than mine with the stock fan profile.

Yes, it's the non-sc version with the crappiest of coolers. It's definitely higher than I a comfortable with. I like my PC whisper quiet and a blaring fan just isn't going to cut it for me. So far it looks like I'll be able to get the radiator to fit in the Lian-Li case without having to cut any new venting holes. Fingers crossed. The kraken should arrive tomorrow or the next day, then the surgery begins!

Some progress on parts gathering, but decided to add vram heatsinks and an auxillery fan to blow toward the card because the G12 built in fan doesn't hit all of the mosfets on the 1060 mini cards. Waiting on parts until Friday.

I found three nice quality 12v San Ace case fans, older, for $8 shipped. Hard to pass up that deal. Going to try to run them undervolted at 5v so they aren't loud. I found the specs for a similar fan at Sanyo's site, and I think just one will still provide plenty of CFM at 5v.

new fans.PNG

Mind the dust, I haven't cleaned this PC in about a year!

IMG_9950 - Copy.JPG

If I can't get the G12 and H55 to fit... I think I barely have enough clearance ... then it will be time to put this old case to rest and upgrade.View attachment 203868View attachment 203867

Many thanks for that useful Sandy/Ivybridge Overclocking Guide link in your signature.

I was able to get somewhat better results by following it. I still couldn't get a stable 4.5ghz unfortunately. I seem to have stabilized at 4.4ghz. Was able to get the voltage down a bit and stay stable as well.

bench.PNG

Here is a link to the memory I have in my system: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-17000cl11d-8gbxl

Can I get beyond the 2133 speed they were designed for safely, or would it be a waste of time to try? Here is my motherboard for reference: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77I_DELUXE/specifications/

Yes, you can go try to go beyond 2133 safely. I think you can over-volt the RAM up to about 1.7 without any issue. Increasing the frequency will likely require you to also relax the timings so from a performance standpoint it will probably be a wash.

Yes, you can go try to go beyond 2133 safely. I think you can over-volt the RAM up to about 1.7 without any issue. Increasing the frequency will likely require you to also relax the timings so from a performance standpoint it will probably be a wash.

Thank you trents. I suppose I will hunt for a good deal on used 2400 one of these days. I haven't been up into central Washington in over 20 years. Has it changed a lot? I miss seeing Rainier and St. Helens, but I don't miss the cost of living.

More urban sprawl in King County/Seattle/Everette of course.

I'm about 30 minutes south of Olympia right off I-5.

Where are you now?

More urban sprawl in King County/Seattle/Everette of course.

I'm about 30 minutes south of Olympia right off I-5.

Where are you now?

We live in Virginia right now, but are moving for school again soon. I've lived all over the place, Texas, Maine, Virginia, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Costa Rica.

Back