• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie first time oc duron 850...help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

This is my first attept overclocking so please bare with me if this gets a little tidious!

I recently overclocked my duron 850 to 935mhz per 110fsb*8.5. Core voltage is set to 1.60volts via bios. Right now I'm running burn6 to test it's stability. To measure my cpu and system temps i'm using ALi Hardware Monitor software that came with the Iwill KD266 mobo. My cpu temps measure at 38c idle & 41c while using burn6. System temps range from 25c to 27c. What I want to know is are these temps acceptable for the duron cpu and mobo? At what temperature does it start to get dangerous for the cpu and motherboard... how long do i run burn6 before I know that my system is stable enough?

Also, when running burn6 is the burn6.exe ms-dos window suppose to stay on the taskbar while running?

my system:
Iwill KD266 mobo
Duron 850@935, 1.60v
volcano 6Cu+ hsf
256 PC-133 ram
16MB voodoo3 300 agp
40gig maxtor 5400
win98SE

Your temps sound very ok for me....
I would try different stability test programs....like prime 95, 3D Mark, some Games, some Office stuff ect..if all is stable...your are fine.

Dangerous to me is if I were to hit 50c, but I've seen others who would never think of letting their system get above 46c. Now, dangerous and stable are two diferent things IMHO, the lower the temp the more stable the overclock.
BTW welcome to the overclockers.com forums, and enjoy your stay!
Please check out our Seti team. The link is in my sig!

what's the diff? ? ?

I was wondering which way gets a better results when overclocking...

higher fsb/lower mutiplier
lower fsb/higer multiplier

If you up the FSB you'll get higher overrall system performance but when you benchmark the CPU the FSB doesn't make any affect, but I would personaly go for the highest 1.FSB 2.Multi I could get.

Back