• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't seem to get OC stable after bios update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phun8890

Registered
Hi,

I been into overclocking since last week and have been reading on it for couple months. I bought my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice around last month and used it before I start overclocking. First motherboard I bought for my Venice cpu was the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium but the voltage on that was not large and not possible to overclock with my current rams. Today I received my motherboard and started overclocking my processor to 2.0GHz (230*9) with memory at 2.5-3-3-5-7 1T @3.2V. After, I tested the stability with Prime95 and passes for about 2 hours. Than I went ahead and move up some more but I can't seem to get any stability after 2Ghz configurations. So than I flash my bios with a mod bios but that bios doesn't seem to work for my motherboard when it is for all DFI LanParty UT NF4. So I ended have to reset my cmos and have to flash the bios back to the recent bios that my mobo came with. Now I can only run at stock speed and when overclock again to 230*9, Prime95 failed after about 3 minutes. I need help right now as I want to at least get to 2.3-2.5GHz speed. The specs of my computer is in my sig. My memory supposed to be able to run at 2-2-2-5 but I am not able to; Prime95 fail when I set the timing to that. Can someone help me with my overclock? What bios is best and the tip on configuring in my cmos?

Thank you

First off, :welcome:

Second, I think its best to determine your limits with each indivual component than try for a massive all in one OC. Start with proc, then memory and so on... here is a link that will help.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

Are you running a memory divider when trying to take your mem past 220mhz? Perhaps your memory is holding you back?

Also what bios are you running?

Check out this link: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

Basically it has almost any bios you would need all on a bootable cd, very handy.

I will check out the first link in the morning. As for the memory, I am running it as 1:1 with the processor. When I first OC'd it to 230*9, it was running smoothly and stable. But after I flash the bios and the bios didn't work so I had to flash back to the old version, the OC is not stable anymore. I will check out the Tmod but I don't think it support my motherboard because I don't see DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D anywhere. Based on CPU-Z I am using version 6.00 PG and the date of this bios is 6/23/2005 which is from the file N4D623-3.zip that I downloaded from DFI website.

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
memory voltage seems kinda high, unless ur using voltage hungry memory

Yeah the memory I am using require a lot of voltage. I am sure you heard of OCZ 512MB PC3200 Gold Edition Dual Channel. This memory require lots of voltage to take advantage of it performance.

White Runner said:
First off, :welcome:

Second, I think its best to determine your limits with each indivual component than try for a massive all in one OC. Start with proc, then memory and so on... here is a link that will help.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

Are you running a memory divider when trying to take your mem past 220mhz? Perhaps your memory is holding you back?

Also what bios are you running?

Check out this link: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

Basically it has almost any bios you would need all on a bootable cd, very handy.

And thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here and hopefully I'll learn more about overclocking and get my processor to the max speed.

Yeah i agree your memory voltage is very high i have my CPU @ 2.5Ghz and the memory voltage is only at 2.85v.

I dont think your memory is in need for all those volts.

night8jim said:
Yeah i agree your memory voltage is very high i have my CPU @ 2.5Ghz and the memory voltage is only at 2.85v.

I dont think your memory is in need for all those volts.

Well I did research online about my memory and all of them saying that my ram is voltage hungry. At 200*9 2.5-3-3-5, The memory default at 2.6V. Also why does my cpu temperature is higher when I had it on my old motherboard. When I had this cpu on my old motherboard, it idle at 31C, load 38-41C and now when on DFI board, it is at 36-38C and load at 46-50C. I am using the same stock fan and put new thermal on it when I took it out. I am using the Antec Silver Thermal Compound. The chipset idle temp seem pretty high... 46C. I have about 4 fans in my case that is not included the chipset, cpu, and vga fan.

2.8 volts for your memory is fine. I wouldnt go any higher without active cooling though (a fan)

Also, the tmod cd will work fine, as we both have the same motherboard and i have used it a couple times. I currently run bios 623-3, however, that is because i have TCCD chips... check out this thread to identify what memory you have, and then select a bios that will benefit your memory.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=415294

Check here to see a description regarding the memory chips on your modules...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=372050

your memory needs that many volts, BUT if you give it more volts, you will need to raise the speed,

Its like food, if you feed someone, and you dont get him to run enuf laps to work off the food, he's gunna get fat and unstable :D

oh noes!! you dont wanna be fat and unstable!!!!

In your bios as well as on that tmod cd, is Memtest86, run that while you sleep and see if you are getting memory errors... at the very least it will tell you if memory is your issue.

Does any one know if that memory uses the same chips as mine?

I have tried raising my Voltage toi memory to get a bigger overclock but it becomes very unstable and crashes with Prime95.

If i was you i would start on stock voltages and work your way up to see what you can achieve them start raising the voltage slowly.

My memory is an EL because on the memory sticks it have a label that state "PC3200 512MB EL Dual CH Gold Edition 2-2-2-5. The model number of it is OCZ4001024ELDCGE-K.

I just got added a fan for my memory, large one, that cover nearly all of the the slots. I will try to added couple more fans when I get the chance to. I just got my memory to run at 2-2-2-5 1T @ 2.8V with HTT at 200*9 and tested it with Prime95 for about 30-45min. I will leave the memory test on while I sleep to see if there will be any error.

I don't know why the processor temperature is is so high compare to when it was in the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium. I tried overclocking with that board too and ran Prime95 but the max load it reach was 43-45 and sometimes around 46 and 47C. Idle temp of the cpu when it was in Asus A8N-SLI Premium was 30, 31C. Idle temp of the cpu on DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D is 38C. Anyone know why a huge temp difference? It seem when I switched to DFI, the processor idle and load temperature increase to about 6-8C on stock speed.

Did you use AS5? If not, what kinda of thermal matter did you use? Were you able to run your mem at 3.2 on the Asus mobo?

Your vcore setting in bios is set to ? and what does it say in

Memtest for 12hours + and same with prime... I need sleep, lemme know what progress you make and ill check back after some ZZZzzz's

Well the temperature of the processor is still 6-8C high when it is at it regular default volts which was cpu: 1.4V and ram: 2.6V. The setting for A8N-SLI Premium board was nearly the same cept the memory voltage on there that i set was 2.8V. So I can't see why it is running hotter now than before. The case I am running is in my sig. I was not able to run the memtest for 12 hours since I slept for 5 hours only and needed to use the computer when I woke up. So far for 5 hours, the memtest is stable with no error throughout the test. Memory was at 2-2-2-5 1T 2.8V. Yes I am using AS5 compound.

Edit:
Oh, what is the max speed of the fan for AMD fan w/ heatsink? Because what it state in SmartGuardian and the BIOS config, the cpu fan is running at 1700-1800 RPM only. I think the fan used to run faster than this when was in the old motherboard.

Below is all the info from SmartGuardian:
CPU - 1.34V
LDT Bus - 1.15V
ATX +5.0V - 4.89V
DRAM - 2.75V
ATX +12V - 12.03V
NB +1.5V - 1.45V
ATX +3.3V - 3.21V
VBAT +3.0V - 3.05V

Last edited:
Back