• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 146 OEM vs Retail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good good. I got a CABGE with one of the first batchs, and the poor shipping of monarch was reason enough for me to RMA it (proc put in a plastic case, and dropped in a big box with no padding, then shipped like that, flopping around and everything). I'm hoping wtih this one that it will be at least a better stepping, seeing as Monarch is backordered, it should be some of the new series.

What are the odds of me getting a better stepping you think?

Midnight Dream said:
Good good. I got a CABGE with one of the first batchs, and the poor shipping of monarch was reason enough for me to RMA it (proc put in a plastic case, and dropped in a big box with no padding, then shipped like that, flopping around and everything). I'm hoping wtih this one that it will be at least a better stepping, seeing as Monarch is backordered, it should be some of the new series.

What are the odds of me getting a better stepping you think?

Id say the odds are about 70/30 on your getting a good stepping, theres 3 really good steppings out so far: CABNE, CABYE, CAB2E. Im willing to bet youll be happy with either one of thoughs 3.

My CABYE is litterally the best processor I have ever owned. At 2.9ghz right now and still at 1.37v!! Trust me, if you get one of thoughs 3, youll be happy.

PS: Not all CABGE's are bad overclockers, they tend to hit a wall at 2.5-2.6ghz on stock volts. Definitly nothing to be ashamed of. ;)

Very impressive. And, its not just that it was a CABGE that made me want to RMA, because I was more than willing to keep the proc. Its the main thing of how it was shipped. I was apaled.

Midnight Dream said:
Very impressive. And, its not just that it was a CABGE that made me want to RMA, because I was more than willing to keep the proc. Its the main thing of how it was shipped. I was apaled.

I understand completely. I would have RMA'd to. Ive had that happen before and I nearly lost my mind trying to get the person that sent me the item to comprehend why I wanted to send it back.

heh. If you need some processor, give me a PM. Ive got a x2 3800 that went to 2.74ghz stable and a San Diego 4000 thats never seen the inside of a socket!! :p

I really need to stop holding on to these things.... :rolleyes:

Back