• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worlds fastest supercomputers unveiled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah really :p
I bet that it's meant to run Lost Coast and FEAR and other games with high graphics. I wonder how it differs between 1,000,000 FPS and 2,000,000 FPS lol

If some of the OCers aroud here could get their hand on it, that computer would be running way over 300 trillion operations per second. :burn:

hmm... now there's someone thinking

at 280 trillion / second stock... overclock that say... 40% (although i have achieved over 50% on two cpus)....

that would be 392trillion operations / second :D

Imagine trying to install 65,536 instances of F@H! Even with the one-click install that's 65,536 clicks! How many threads can F.E.A.R. create?

EDIT: Maybe it's being used so the government can filter out all the spam they get? :shrug:

So they finally released info saying they had them up? Took them long enough. As for folding, Ive talked to the guys that have access to running programs on a Cray X1 about F@H. Those comps like these are leased out so technically we could get some time on them if we had money and got on the list to use them. I know that some of the auto makers use those super computers at the National Labs, mainly LLN and ORNL for running crash tests. They are also used for running weather simulations too. So all we need is the $$$ to pay for some time on one of those machines and we could do it.

BTW, feels nice to post again. Has only been about a year :rolleyes:

What would happend if someone could fold on there for like a day? How long would it take one of those computers to complete the whole project?

mxthunder said:
What would happend if someone could fold on there for like a day? How long would it take one of those computers to complete the whole project?

A very long time. From what I heard, a few years ago, the world's best supercomputer, or something pretty equivalent, spent an entire year simulating a single protein fold in its entirety (something that happens millions of times per second in the human body appearently). So I'd say that the folding project isn't anywhere close to done no matter what available hardware is used. Those pathetic little work units (arnold voice) we get are infinitesimally tiny fractions of the simulations being done. We're infinitely complex beings ^^

Max0r said:
A very long time. From what I heard, a few years ago, the world's best supercomputer, or something pretty equivalent, spent an entire year simulating a single protein fold in its entirety (something that happens millions of times per second in the human body appearently). So I'd say that the folding project isn't anywhere close to done no matter what available hardware is used. Those pathetic little work units (arnold voice) we get are infinitesimally tiny fractions of the simulations being done. We're infinitely complex beings ^^
Yes. Thus the uniqueness of the folding problem and the distributed project.

Back