• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRockDaul939 CPU utilization in RAID 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CFster

Registered
Not sure if I should post this here, or in the storage forum.

Check this post out.

Basically this guy is saying that in order to perform RAID functions on the SATA1 ports requires 22% CPU utilization.

I ran my own test:

First, 2 Maxtor 80GB SATA150 in RAID 0 configuration on the SATA1 ports:

HD1.jpg

Second, a single WD 120GB by itself on IDE2

HD2.jpg

While the speeds are faster on the RAID config, CPU utilization is 27.3% vs. 2.9%.

Is this normal for RAID? Or is the controller on the ASRock board lousy?

Wow that sucks.

I would say its the controller. Get the Siig PCIe SATAII RAID card. Works great in raid and barely any CPU utilization.

What if I want to keep my PCIe slot open for a future video card?

Any recommendations on a regular PCI RAID controller card?

CFster said:
What if I want to keep my PCIe slot open for a future video card?

Any recommendations on a regular PCI RAID controller card?
A PCI-E RAID control would go in the x1 PCI-E slot, not the x16 slot.

Looks like a lousy RAID controller. Check out my 2 36GB Raptors in RAID 0 on the Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 board:
comp5.jpg

On my P4P800, these same drives in RAID 0 has about a 3% CPU utlization, using the Intel ICH-5R controller.

Yeah this board is a real piece - for other reasons as well.

Check out this thread.

I compare the board to a K8N Neo2 nForce3. The old tech nForce3 board whips the ASROCK in every category.

Based on your benchmarks, I would say your nForce 3 beats the Asrock be very small margins in most categories, not "whips" it. But you are entitled to your opinion. I have never owned, and doubt I will ever own, an nForce3 motherboard, so I'm unable to make my own comparison.

Anyway, despite the horrendous CPU usage statistics reported by benchmarks, my STAT RAID 0 feels just as fast as it did on my Intel ICH5-R...

Well I think it beats it by a fair margin in SATA and memory performance, and by a narrower margin in everything else.

Seeing as the ASRock is supposedly newer technology than the nForce3 board I find it surprising.

Back