• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

San Diego 4000 high temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

I have found my chip O/C sweet spot (see sig), and it runs idle at 36°C and Prime95 at 47°C. Or so says MBM5.
The problem is, when I play games, I've had instances where the CPU temp reached 60°C. Should I be concerned? I'm also surprised, as the Ninja paired with the delta 120mm at 74 CFM should cool it down enough...

Thats very bad and i would be worried,

First of all i wouldn't trust that MBM5 at all, and just use your BIOS for the checks as windows monitors can be out by a long way.

I would check your heatsink is seated correctly onto the motherboard.

Thats even odder i dont think that game is that CPU demanding, i have never had any trouble with it.

60C is pretty hot, you have heat protection stuff or CPU throttling on in bios? because they are usually set at 60C

The newest Ntune is pretty good temp and bus speed monitor, its really the only thing its good for. You can monitor and log temps with it while gaming. I would either use that or the ITE smartguardian.

As far as I know MBM5 needs to be modified to correctly (or as close as software can anyway) read the DFI's temps. There ls a MBM5 thread on it over at DFI-Street. Soundx98 helped me with mine.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798&highlight=MBM5

As far as I know and again i could be wrong but the source engine and the FEAR engine are some of the most CPU intensive games that would make it hottest. Usually though prime95 gets my cpu 2C hotter than any gaming will after 10-15 minutes full load.

Another thing that may be happening is the HOT air from the 7800 may be making its way up to the CPU somehow ?? kind of a long shot, but you guys that have 7800's know how hot they get, the board and chips themselves and its right under the socket....

Just remember that the temp sensors on mobo's are notoriously inaccurate. That seems pretty high, but if it was seated improperly it would spike all the time under all load situations.

QUOTE]Another thing that may be happening is the HOT air from the 7800 may be making its way up to the CPU somehow ?? kind of a long shot, but you guys that have 7800's know how hot they get, the board and chips themselves and its right under the socket....[/QUOTE]
Definitely a possibility...I think I'm getting an Arctic silencer to get rid of that air once anf for all.

Just remember that the temp sensors on mobo's are notoriously inaccurate. That seems pretty high, but if it was seated improperly it would spike all the time under all load situations
My thoughts exactly Rich. If it were seated improperly, Prime95 wouldn't run at 43C.
I think I'm going to give NTune a try as Rattle suggests.

Back