• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can air cooling handle 2800MHz +

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Sith

Registered
first of all, hi everyone. i'm new here. so hello again. i'm from austria so english is not my native language, so sorry for some mistakes^^

here my first question. i'm thinking about building a new rig (see signature). i definetly want to overclock my processor, but still want too use air-cooling.

is there an cpu-air-cooler which can handle 2800Mhz without cooking my processor?

i was looking at the arctic cooling freezer 64 pro. but im willing to spend more money on the cooler.

If your temps dont exceed a reasonable max of lets say 50C LOAD, sure, why not? Alot of people have been hitting 3ghz on air with the new Opterons.

hmm, yeah i was also thinking about an opteron instead of an ahtlon. but which coolers can u suggest? i've heard that the scythe shogun in combination with a good fan cools pretty well? are there other coolers that are recommendable?

It depends alot on the system cooling, ambient room temp, and how many volts is required to get to 2800+ mhz.

Many air coolers can do it, but the noise level of the fan may be an issue with you.

Look at many of the ones already mentioned. Your best bet is one that uses a 120mm fan.

I am not real sure about this, haven't been around the forum as much as I want to be lately, but I think the Thermalright XP-120 or XP-90C are the best heatsinks around. If you use one of those heatsinks with a Panaflo fan, you should be doing pretty good. I am using a Panaflo 120mm Ultra High Speed (FBA12G12U) as a case fan, and although it seems a little loud at startup, usually after a couple minutes you don't even really notice the sound. But if noise isn't really an issue there are always the Delta fans, although they do make some quiet fans. Anyway if I am wrong on anything, someone please correct me.

Back